Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hive #3 - Oopsies and success for Debbie

Hello there! Hope you've had a wonderful weekend.

These are for Debbie.  I  really thought I'd be able to knock these blocks out pretty quickly - sew strips together, cut at angle, sew back together, appliqué (the scariest part for me). I was wrong! Misreading the directions and cutting short - plus not really having long enough strips to begin with, it took me most of today to get them finished. (Story of my life - it ALWAYS takes me longer than I think it will). The good news is that I finished these cuties (that each measure 6-1/4" x 6-1/4"):
Stash Bee Hive #3 March 2012 Debbie's blocks

And now you have four more oopsie blocks (that measure 5-3/4" x 5-3/4"):
Stash Bee Hive #3 March oops blocks

I realized as I was importing my pictures into Flickr that I had totally stitched the machine appliqué stitches backwards! Debbie, I hope you like them regardless of the flaws! Thank you for the challenge.
Here’s what I’ll be dropping in the mail sometime this week (four requested blocks, four oopsies and a signature block):
Stash Bee Hive #3 March 2012 for Debbie

Hope everyone has a great week!
Take care,
Nancy D.

4 comments:

Danny Heyen said...

Ok, so I'm not in your Hive, but I just wanted to say "BEEN THERE!" So sorry to hear this block was a pain for you, but it looks like you turned it all out okay in the end anyways!

Back River Designs said...

Sorry it was giving you such difficulties. Was it the tutorial? I did the pictures as I made it.
But I love it and thank you so much. I'm sure I will be in your shoes with someone's block.

Julie said...

Yeah, I thought I'd knock a couple of these out quickly too, Nancy, but mine came up 5.75" also. I made one to 6.25", but "cheated" by cutting the strips just a little wider, and trying to use a scant 1/4" seam. How did you get yours to work? Also--I love your blocks, and the light & dark layout in your final photo, with the finished blocks & the oops blocks.

Nancy D. said...

@Debbie - No worries! I realized I sound kind of whiney on this post don't I? I'm sorry, I don't mean to. I really did enjoy working your blocks! Maybe the length of the strips you used (like 2-1/2" x WOF or 18" or whatever it was) would have been good to start with.
@Julie - I got lucky - ha! It's hard to describe, I started with 8 sets of strips that were about 8" or 9" long, and because of the mis-cuts (I cut a 90 degree angle from the end b/c I didn't have enough fabric to cut as is in the tutorial, I was able to use the remaining fabrics after the mis-cuts (which made the oopsies) and piece them together to make the right sized blocks after they were trimmed. Clear as mud? :0)