Sunday, January 1, 2023

Hive 5 - January Tutorial- Oh Susannah Block

 Happy New Year to All!

I am happy to be back with Stash Bee once again.  Every year is a struggle for me to decide which block I would like to see my hive mates.  Being the first of the hive, I have decided to go with an easy block and keep things stress free.  I made a variety of test blocks before deciding.  Finally, I found a version that could be controlled scrappy.

I saw this block on Pinterest in several varieties. Scrappy, super scrappy &  2 colors.  It is the Oh, Susannah block, although, according to several sources, it is Mr. Roosevelt's Necktie.

Here are some links that provided inspiration:


For my tutorial, I have made 2 blocks; pink and blue.  Bright, saturated colors are what I'm looking for.  The colors below are samples.  Don't worry about exact matches.  The colors that are off-limits are browns, blacks, and grays. 

My apologies for the photo quality -  gray and rainy day, inside lighting and shadows.  I know I flipped back and forth between color schemes.  You are making one block,  I made multiples to show examples.


Things to remember

Seams: Scant 1/4" seam,  Sew with a small stitch - no larger than 2.  

Pressing:  I press seams open.  If you press to the side, we can still be friends.


Now on to the tutorial!


Choose a color and then select 4 different fabrics.  

From each fabric, cut (1) 3.5"sq. and (1) 3.5" x 6.5" rectangle

From low volume (or white) fabric, cut (8) 3.5"sq.  




Draw a diagonal line on the back of (4) low volume squares




Place marked low volume square on 3.5" x 6.5" fabric.  
I placed them all with the diagonal starting at the top right corner.  


Sew on the line.


Cut 1/4" from sewn line.


Next, sew (1) low volume square with (1) colored square.



After sewing these pieces, each set will measure 3.5" x 6.5"

Organize sewn pieces


Sew 4 units


Each unit should measure 6.5" sq.


Lay out the 4 units and sew.  



Block should measure 12.5" sq.  

I'm looking forward to seeing your blocks!


If you have any questions, please let me know through IG @byrobinsue


1 comment:

L Ryshpan said...

Love the pattern. Looking forward to this block.