Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Hive 3 - October Tutorial- Ye Olde Log Cabin


Hello hivemates! 

I have gone back and forth on what quilt block I would like to choose. Thus, I am reverting back to my obsession with all things historical and choose one of the oldest, most versatile and downright lovely quilt blocks: Ye Olde Log Cabin. 

I was inspired by this blog post which is a great reference: http://delawarequilts.com/BOMs/LogCabin/index.html 

Traditionally, the center of a Log Cabin block is red: representing the warmth of the hearth as the center of the home, and I would like to stick to that for the 3.5” center block. Per the traditional version of the Log Cabin block, I ask you to choose two colors of fabrics with each side of the block being different shades of the same color (or the same fabric if you choose that. No biggie). I would ask you not to alternate colors but keep them to each side. Use whatever colors suit your fancy as long as they are:

red, orange, yellow, gold, brown, green, or purple (if it’s warm enough) Think of the colors of fall leaves and all of those rich tones of autumn. Maybe make yourself some hot cocoa and put on fuzzy socks. It can’t hurt! ;)

Some of you may wonder what “warm” colors look like. This is a picture of the fabric I chose for my block. Note how I chose six different fabrics but only two colors are represented. Yes, there is blue in one of my yellows, but it still reads as warm and fits in perfectly with the other colors!


The finished block will be 12.5.” Use an accurate ¼ inch seam with this block. If you have trouble maintaining a ¼ inch, a quick tip is to use plain masking tape cut to ¼ inch taped to your sewing machine. I make sure my fabric follows the edge of the tape, and it keeps it nice and scant! 

You will begin with a red 3.5 inch square



The rest of the strips will be strips cut 2 inches wide from your chosen colors. I prefer to precut my strips. It makes the sewing process go by MUCH quicker. I sewed my strips clockwise (or the wrong side). Regardless of how you choose to orient your block, What is important is that you continue in the same direction for the whole block. 
For my example, I will be using six colors. Like I said, choose however many or however less colors you want as long as they are within the same family on each side. You know your stash!

Cutting requirements are as follows: 

Of Color A:     1 3.5 X 2 inch strip      1 8 X 2 inch strip 
                         1 5 X 2 inch strip         1 9.5 X 2 inch strip 
                         1 6.5 X 2 inch strip      1 11 X 2 inch strip 

Of Color B:     1 5 X 2 inch strip         1 9.5 X 2 inch strip 
                         1 6.5 X 2 inch strip      1 11 X 2 inch strip 
                         1 8 X 2 inch strip         1 12.5 X 2 inch strip 

Begin with the Color A strip face down on the 3.5 inch red block. You will work your way around the entire center square.







The first round is complete. It should measure 6.5 inch square. 

You will continue on until all of your strips are added, and the log cabin is completed. Remember to go the same way the entire time.

There you have it! A 12.5 inch log cabin block! 

Please let me know if you have ANY questions! Enjoy! 

@emsquiltyadventures



Emily was unable to post this herself. I have done the best I could to transfer her PDF to this blog. If you have any questions, please contact her directly.

No comments: