Sunday, May 1, 2022

Hive 4 - May Tutorial - GEESE MIGRATION

 Hi Everyone-

This is my 2nd year with Stash Bee.  Last year's scrappy quilt was donated to a hospice,  but this year I may keep the quilt for myself.  

I love scrappy quilts and using my stash.  I sort my scraps by color and really like to pull fabrics from one color bin and make a scrappy block.   This  month's block "Geese Migration" was designed by Cynthia Brunz and she has graciously given her permission for me to share it.  

The block is a combination a 15-patch rectangle, combined with 5 flying geese units.  Lot of opportunity to use up some scraps.  If you  dislike sewing  flying geese, I will be more than happy with a 15 block patchwork rectangle

Color Scheme:  Choose one color (teal, green, red, yellow, navy, pink, blue, purple, red,  or orange).  I'm looking for bright, rainbow colors  No batiks or neon please.  As long as the colors coordinate, it will be fine.  I chose gray for the tutorial.  It's fine to use more than one print within the block.   For the solid color, please use a solid or as close to a solid as you can get.


Fabric Requirements:


Assembling the block

Chain piece the 2.5" print squares in three rows.   


Sew the three rows together to form block.  This block should measure 10.5" x 6.5".  Set aside.  If you dislike flying geese, you can stop here and and just send me the patchwork block.  



Next, we move on the Flying Geese Blocks.   There are a number of ways to make a flying geese block, so you can use the one you are most comfortable with.  I've included two options for the Flying Geese, a more traditional method or paper piecing.


TRADITIONAL METHOD:    

Take the solid 2.5" square blocks and draw a diagonal through each block.  Place marked block on 2.5" x 4.5" rectangle.   Sew on marked line.

Cut 1/4" from the sewn line.   Press.


  Repeat with opposite side.  Press.   Finished block should measure 2.5" x 4.5". Repeat for 4 additional blocks.




Sew the five flying geese together.  Block should measure 4.5" by 10.5"



Sew this unit to the 15 patch unit.  Block is complete!



PAPER PIECING OPTION (for flying geese):  
I prefer to paper piece them as you get the greatest accuracy, but you don't need to.   Here is a link by Fresh Lemon Quilts which will give you a perfect 2" x 4" (finished) flying geese unit.  http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5beb7cf40dbda38a9f77c30c/5bee0bfcae1f690159b60394/5bee2a66ae1f690159ba2db0/1542335078349/4-x-2-finished.pdf?format=original.
I used paper piecing for this red block.  I thought it was much easier and definitely more accurate!
If you do opt for paper piecing, I used a 3" x 5" block for piece 1 (refer to link noted).   I cut a 3.5" square diagonally for pieces 2 and 3.  Easy peasy!






Here are a few more that I've sewn.  Bright and happy rainbow colors.   Blocks are going to be set on point with a sashing.   







I hope you have fun with this block!