Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Hive 2 March Tutorial

I confess that with quilting, I seem to gravitate toward easy blocks, that when put together, look far more complicated.  After spending waaay too much time perusing Pinterest and other quilting sites, I came across a free pattern from Kitchen Table Quilting.  See:  kitchentablequiltingblogspot.com  The scrap quit tutorial is called "Plaid-ish," which I love. 

This is a nice and quick block, because if you are like me, I feel squeezed this month for time--planning a garden, spring cleaning, maple syrup season, and prepping for my retirement in May.  It is a bit crazy here.

For this block, we will need fabrics with a dark value, mid value and light value:

  • The darks will be mostly dark grey, grey-browns, and black.  
  • The mid value fabrics are brights and may include mustard yellows, deep tangerine, greens on the lime side.
  • The light fabrics are light grey, whites, creams--anything low volume.  Some of my light greys may be a bit dark, but if set against a really dark fabric, it will still have  enough contrast.

Here is my fabric selection:



From the dark fabric, cut 4 5" squares.

From the medium fabric, cut 4 rectangles measuring 1.5" x 5"

From the light Fabric, cut 1, 1-1/2" square


Here are my cut pieces:




Sew together in rows as follows:




For the 5" squares, press toward the darks, but if you want to nest when sewing together, press the mediums to the light for the middle piece.


Sew together.


Done!  It should measure 10.5" x 10.5" 


These blocks will be used in a quilt I am making for my brother, Bob.



Happy Spring, everyone.  It's just around the corner!






No comments: