Monday, June 1, 2020

Hive 2 June Tutorial: House Block

Hi all. I’m Carolyn from New Jersey. I don’t know about all of you, but I’m tired of being stuck at home.  I’ve been out walking around the neighborhood a lot and to the stores very little. When coming up with an idea for this month I had a few in mind until I saw what Velda from hive 4 decided on. She is asking for a house block from each of her hive mates and I love the idea. So I’m asking from each of you a block representing your house and neighborhood. Or whatever type of house block you would like to make. 

In this block I used graph paper to draw out an idea for the lake and trees and added a couple houses from the Bee My Neighbor 2016 quilt to represent my neighborhood.  My trees look like Christmas trees because I live in the pine barrens on the Jersey Shore. 



I also have examples of other houses and ideas for if you live in an apartment or condo. 




This block is another from the Be My Neighbor quilt, I just made it a little bit smaller. 



So I would love for you to use bright cheery colors for your houses and neighborhood. The scrappier the better. The background is a mix of low volume fabrics.  Feel free to mix it up as much as you would like. I’m attaching some tutorials for house blocks for you, but if you would like to design your own I would love that, too.  I’m asking the blocks be around 15” (bigger is ok too as I believe I’ll be sashing them when I receive them to even out the sizes). 



Thank you all so much. And if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Be My Neighbor 2016 by Moda

Tiny House with Missouri Star

Quilt Inspiration

Sew Can She

Aurifil 2019 

Sew Preeti

Fat Quarter Shop 1

Fat Quarter Shop 2





No comments: