So super early in the month I got cracking, cut all my pieces, got out my real camera to take some action shots, and got this baby pieced. Loved it.
Then I measured it. 14”. No matter how I massaged those seams, the most I could get out of it was 14 ¼”, which wasn’t really going to cut it, was it? <--did you see what I did there?
So in the middle of the month I got cracking, unpicked the whole thing only to realize most of it wasn’t usable, cut out all my pieces again, didn’t even know where my camera was, and got this baby pieced again, right size and all. Loved it.
So once more I got cracking, unpicked the whole stupid thing except for the nine-patch, cut some more pieces, took no shots at all, and got this baby pieced again, right size and all, right pattern too. Yeah, it’s pretty. Whatever :).
1. Name: Carmit. I have lived less than half my life in the only country where people can correctly pronounce that so don’t feel bad.
2. Where you live: On the outskirts of Munich, Germany, within walking distance of the airport. I can tell the time by the planes that go by. My favourite time of day is A380 o'clock.
3. Tell us about your family: Just me and a man we’ll fondly refer to as the Germ.
4. Tell us about your pets: Schnitzel and Kiwi, sisters of a race we like to call “Tel Aviv Street,” and Sheleg, a gorgeous Albino, also a survivor of the mean Israeli streets. Schnitzel and Kiwi get along great. Sheleg despises them both.
5. How long have you been quilting? Since 2011. I had moved to England, couldn’t work while I was waiting for a visa, so took a sewing class. I made my first quilt (a whole-cloth baby quilt) a few months later. Then I decided to go a bit bigger for the next one.
6. What crafts do you do other than quilting? I occasionally doodle, and I’ve just recently decided to give garment sewing a try. I also spend a stupid amount of time in the kitchen making things from scratch. Have a look at my instagram feed to see a bit of all of this.
7. Fabric line you want to buy next: I don’t as a rule buy fabric lines, but with a gun to my head it would be anything by Allison Glass.
8. Preferred quilting method (FMQ, long arm, hand, etc.): I was mostly straight-line quilting on my Janome Horizon, but I recently bought a longarm, so we’ll see how that goes. At present I am delightfully terrible at it.
9. Where we can find you on social media: @quiltingrainbow on Twitter, @quiltingrainbows on Instagram. I sporadically blog at www.quiltingrainbows.com.
10. Favorite book: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. This book has changed my life in countless ways.
11. Favorite show to binge watch: I don’t watch much television (we don’t have one), but every once in a while I get into a show. I just managed to catch up on six seasons of The Good Wife last year (I have a pair of quilts planned based on the art that was hanging in Alicia's office in the first couple of seasons). At the moment I’m binge-watching Suits. Tell me what to watch next!