Wednesday, July 27, 2016
I hope you like it Patty and I am really looking forward to seeing your quilt come together.
Abigail from cut&alter x
Irene @ Patchwork and Pastry
Tuesday, July 26, 2016
Mary Ann Hardee
Monday, July 25, 2016
For Sarah in Hive 1, I made a set of feathers. Being careful (read: slow) I took my time getting them done and still got the two rights mixed up, but oh well. I like the result and the fact that it is a nice big 18 inch block. A few would make a nice little wall hanging or baby quilt and I will be making it again, for sure. Her color choice worked out great for me; I have been holding onto a yard of vintage Alexander Henry waiting for the right project, and here it is. I used a piece for the solid side of the right feather.
Kelly, I hope you like this. I can't wait to see your finished quilt!
Sunday, July 24, 2016
Still, I like how this one came out. Thanks for the fun!
The mere mention of 'wonky' strikes terror in my heart. I'm pretty flexible; I'm ok with changes in plans, or revising approaches that aren't working quite right, but I've never been good with improvisation. I must admit that I couldn't overcome this hang-up so I drafted the star points on paper before executing them.
My husband peeped in on me while I was pulling fabrics and asked about the block I was working on. I mentioned the connection to The Netherlands and that I was planning to work in red, white, and blue since their flag has the same colors as those of us in the United States of America. He suggested that I add some orange in. Stupid me; I just haaaaaaad to ask why. Turns out, the athletes for Holland wear orange . He said that since the Olympics will be starting soon, that I should sneak some orange in to represent the year.
Saturday, July 23, 2016
I decided to go with a London theme for my first. I fussy cut some fabric I bought in Oxford's Darn It and Stitch , concentrating on the telephone box. I paired this with some random teal fabrics for the string spool. Next up was a London taxi. This went with some red string fabric, and I included some red selvedge edges for authenticity.
The important lesson I learned here was that not all 5" charms squares are actually 5". A little frustrating to sew my 5" string block and discover it measured 4 7/8". A useful tip Tracy gave us was to make the top and bottom strings deeper for trimming.
My second block was Japanese kokko fabrics. I went through a little phrase of buying these last year. I had intended to foundation piece some books covers for a keep me warm when I'm reading quilt. Another work in process. I hope Tracy doesn't mind, but my string block here is red too. The red just lent itself well with the ladybirds and the geisha girls.
This was a block I really enjoyed making. In fact I hope to make more of these in the future. I really look forward to seeing Tracy's finished quilt and being part of it.
This was a fun block to do this month. I started to over-think the color placement and then just decided to randomly pull out strips and I like the result. Hope you do, too. Everyone of them has been used in a quilt, bag or sundress. Already in the mail so you should be receiving it soon.