Friday, July 26, 2024

Hive 5- August Tutorial- Ornament Block

I live in Eastern North Carolina, and this time of year, it's always hot and humid. I tend to do Christmas in July to not only get a jump on Christmas projects, but also to try and pretend it's not 100 degrees outside. Along that vein, I've chosen an ornament block. It's super easy and fun to make. It goes together very quickly and is a great way to use up scraps.


There is a great tutorial at: https://www.scrapish.com/ornament-quilt-block.html#Top

 

For fabrics, anything Christmas is welcome; fun, whimsical, classic, ornate. If you don't have any holiday fabrics, think holiday colors in solids or small prints, with gold and silver. I'm using charm squares I had left over from a project.


For the background, I chose white on white prints with snowflakes, trees, holly, and an off white with red polka dots. I'm good with the white or off white with small prints as long as they read christmas-y. Also, I'd like the background to be one fabric.

 There is also a small gray rectangle needed for the top of the ornament.



 There are two sizes for the block in the tutorial. I did both. You can do one 12 inch or 4 6inch, they'll both equal 12 inches and I'm using both sizes in the quilt. They sew up very quickly, I did all five in less than an hour. 



 Cutting:

6 inch block

Background-

A. (2) 3 1/2 x 1 1/2

B. (1) 1 1/2 x 1

D. (2) 4 1/2 x 1 1/2

E. (4) 1 1/2 square

F. (1) 6 1/2 x 1 1/2

 Gray-

C. (1) 1 1/2 x 1

Print or color-

G. (2) 4 1/2 x 1 1/2

H. (2) 4 1/2 x 1 1/2

I. (1) 4 1/2 x 1 1/2 


12 inch block

Background-

A. (2) 5 1/2 x 2 1/2

B. (1) 2 1/2 x 1 1/2

D. (2) 8 1/2 x 2 1/2

E. (4) 2 1/2 square

F. (1) 12 1/2 x 2 1/2

Gray-

C. (1) 2 1/2 x 1 1/2

Print or color- 

G. (2) 8 1/2 x 2 1/2

H. (2) 8 1/2 x 1 1/2

I. (1) 8 1/2 x 2 1/2





As I used charm squares, for the 12 inch block, I cut the charms and pieced them to get the required size, then cut them down as the tutorial shows in strip piecing. Pieces G, H, I

Sewn and trimmed to 8 1/2 by 8 1/2.

 
 
 
Next I snowballed the corners of the block with the 2 1/2 inch squares. Piece E
 







Next I pieced the gray ornament top and top of the block. Pieces B, C

Pieces B/C, A


Next, sew the sides on. Pieces D

And lastly, sew the top and bottom on. Pieces B/C/A and F






The smaller 6 inch blocks go together exactly the same. I know this is a brief, bullet point tutorial, but the tutorial at the link is very detailed.

Thank you so much and happy Sewing!

Tara


No comments: