Sunday, March 1, 2020

March 2020 tutorial - Hive 2

Hi,
It’s your March hive queen Karen from southern Ohio.
The block I’m requesting is the same block I requested last year as queen.  I’m deep into making donation quilts and this block is perfect, easy to make and looks great when put together as a lap quilt or twin size.
This is my most recent heart quilt and is hanging in a local senior activity center.
So for the tutorial.  You will need to cut 2 -6.5”x12.5” pieces of happy fabric, 2-6.5” x6.5” and 4 - 2.5”x2.5” background fabric.  The background will be your choice as long as it looks good with your heart fabric. (I was working with a group of solids so my tutorial blocks have that, but yours can be whatever.)
Draw a diagonal line on each of the background fabrics, position them on your heart fabric and sew on the line.  Trim 1/4” from each sewn line and press toward the background fabric.
When you sew the two heart pieces together, I’ve found sewing from the bottom of the heart works best.  The heart should measure 12.5”.  
I’m planning on making several quilts from my blocks, please use fabric you already have and just have fun!  If you would, Please send the the leftover large triangles and I can work them into the border.
These are a few of my heart blocks I made for this tutorial. I think you can see that any fabric will work for me.  My donation quilts go to nursing homes, local hospitals, and as money makers for local dog/cat rescues .

No comments: