Sunday, March 1, 2020

Hive 1 March Tutorial

Hi all.  I am Rose from New Jersey......I have been a member of stash bee for quite a few years. My husband and I are retired. We moved 2 years ago to a single story home.We travel as much as possible.  It is quiet here, I miss the little girls that grew up so very fast. We do have grandchildren that make us happy and busy. We spoil them as much as possible.

 It is always interesting to see the new quilt blocks that come up in stash bee and there are always the great standbys that you see over and over. The plus block comes up a lot. This is a different way to make a plus. I'm loving it. Hope you will too.


The main tutorial for this block comes from the Hang Time Quilt pattern from Camelot Fabrics, design by Melissa Corry. I just changed the size of the block from 15" to 10.5". I also changed the color of the inside plus from background to gray. That is my plus. I am asking for bright happy colors for the color blocks, medium grays for the plus in the middle, and white on white for the background.



For this block you will need:
Gray: 1 - 6.5"x 2.5"
          2 - 2.5"x 2.5"
Color: 12 - 2.5"x 2.5"
White on White: 4 - 4.5"x 4.5"


Using 8 of the color 2.5 square fabric, draw one diagonal line. (This blue is much brighter then it looks here)


Pin them to the white on white blocks on opposite corners, like so and sew on the diagonal line. (I also sewed an extra line to save the left over half square triangle) Trim a quarter inch away.  If you would like to send them along, I am saving the cut off triangles for another project.


Press out the color fabric and you have four corners for the block.  

5
  Sew the color 2.5 square to the gray 2.5 square, and sew the final color 2.5 square blocks to the 6.5 rectangle gray. 


 Lay them out like this. Sew them in rows. 


And there is the finished block.  It should finish at 10.5" square.



 Thanks everyone!  If you have any questions feel free to ask.


4 comments:

McAllisterWench said...

This is a great block! Do you mind if the white/white background pieces are different fabrics?

Rose Braun said...

As long as it is white, I'm happy.

McAllisterWench said...

Perfect! I have a charm pack with quite a few white on white but none with 4 of the same.

Rose Braun said...

Perfect 😊