Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Hive 3 July Tutorial

Hi all, I’m Carolyn and I live on the Jersey Shore in NJ. Martha and I switched months to help her out. Sorry the tutorial is a little late. I decided to make it easy this month, I hope you think it is. We are going to low volume with colorful circles.

This is my vision for this quilt.  As you can see there are blocks with circles and some without.


For the low volume I would prefer more white based than cream.




For the circles I would like teal, aqua, light green,... colors like in this selection




To make this block you will need 
2 different - 6.5” x 12.5” low volume rectangles 
Small pieces for circles. (I’m showing reverse appliqué, but you can do your favorite method) 



Using freezer paper, cut circles in the sizes wanted.


Iron the freezer paper, shiny side down, to the back of the the low volume fabric.  (Make sure to leave enough room on the sides for seam allowance so we don't cut the circle when the blocks are sewn together.) 


Cut a hole in the middle of the freezer paper in the low volume fabric leaving a half inch border.  Snip the fabric almost to the edge of the freezer paper.


Glue back the tabs of the low volume to the freezer paper.  Then, glue the circle fabric to the tabs. 


Flip the low volume over and pull up the fabric. You will be stitching in the folded edge between the front low volume and the tabs, your presser foot will be on the freezer paper.  



Trim the circle fabric to match the half inch of the tabs and remove the freezer paper.


Give the fabric a good press and you have your circle block.  


You can do as many circles as you would like on the fabrics.  Two on one side, one on the other or one and one, or three and none.  I will leave it up to you.  



At this point you can sew the two pieces of low volume together or you can leave them separate for me to mix into the quilt.

I'm excited to see all the circle blocks you all come up with.

Interfacing method for circle applique 
Raw edge applique method







1 comment:

Helen M said...

Hi I just tried your freezer paper method and I am wondering if my freezer paper is now too old because I could not peel it off the tabs. It split and left a layer of paper stuck to the glue. Can I please use the raw edge applique method?

Thanks
Helen