Monday, July 1, 2019

Hive 2 - July Tutorial: Granny's Choice Block


IMG_2276.jpegMonday July 1, 2019

Hive 2 Tutorial: Granny's Choice Block





Hi everyone!

Happy Canada Day! And early 4th of July for those of you in the states :) 

After some internal debate, I’ve decided to ask for the same block I did last year. I haven’t had time to make the additional blocks needed to finish the quilt myself, and this way I get a better variety of fabric. I am asking for a Granny's Choice block. I love the contrast, the geometric design, and the secondary patterns that come out in the whole quilt.

I am asking for the block to be done in white, black and ruby red tone on tone blender prints.  Please try to make the red a medium value so it contrasts nicely with the white and the black. True reds please, nothing too orange or too pink/purple.



Cutting List

Black Fabric (Dark Value)
·       1 – 11″ square cut on the diagonal twice – this will make 4 triangles –  you will need 2 of these triangles to make one block
·       2 – 2 ¼″ x 8″  rectangles
·       2 – 2 ¼″ squares

Red Fabric (Medium Value)
·       2 – 2 ¼″ x 8″  rectangles
·       2 – 2 ¼″ squares

White Fabric (Light Value)
·       1 – 11″ square cut on the diagonal twice – this will make 4 triangles –  you will need 2 of these triangles to make one block


The tutorial is found at:


I've made the block from the tutorial, it's pretty easy to follow. Just watch out for all the bias edges on the triangles. 
Please let me know if you have any questions or problems.

 Thanks everyone!

No comments: