Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Hive 1 May Tutorial: 15-inch Solid Ohio Star for MoonlightSewing

Hi friends! My name is Em and you can find me on Instagram @moonlightsewing.

I have successfully posted an Instagram tutorial for my block this month, but I am having pretty serious technical difficulties getting my photos into blogger. My hope is that I can start writing and the photo thing will sort itself out.

I live in St. Charles, a suburb of St. Louis, Missouri and I am a member of the St. Louis Modern Quilt Guild. I joined when we moved to the area around 5 years ago and I am so thankful to have a group of talented quilters to gather with in person once a month. If you have guild near by, I highly recommend checking them out.

That being said, how AWESOME is Stash Bee? I have been in this bee with several of you before, and I continue to be blown away by the talent I see online.

In addition to being a quilter, I am a mom to 4 kids, a runner, a reader, and I run a home preschool and daycare during the day.

I'm keeping it simple this month with a big, 15-inch Ohio Star block.


First, fabric and color selection.

Please use bright, saturated SOLIDS for this block. You'll need 4 shades for you block, but no red please.


Cutting

Fabric 1:
(1) 5-1/2 inch square

Fabric 2:
(1) 6-1/4 inch square

Fabric 3:
(2) 6-1/4 inch squares

Fabric 4:
(1) 6-1/4 inch square
(4) 5-1/2 inch squares

Construction

First, make (4) quarter square triangles (QSTs) using the 6-1/4 inch squares

1. Match (1) 6-1/4 inch square of Fabric 3 with Fabric 2 and one with Fabric 4.
2. Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner
3. Sew 1/4 inch on each side of the line
4. Cut apart on the line
5. Iron open to make 4 half square triangle (HSTs)




Use the HSTs to make quarter square triangles

1. Match one of each color pair of HSTs together with Fabric 3 on opposite sides
2. Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner PERPENDICULAR to your seam line.
3. Sew 1/4 inch on each side of the line.
4. Cut apart on the line.
5. Iron open to make 4 quarter square triangles
6. Check that QSTs are 5-1/2 inches square and trim if necessary.



Make the Ohio Star block

Arrange the Ohio Star as a nine-patch. The 5-1/2 inch square of Fabric 1 is the center. The QSTs are middle sides with Fabric 2 toward the center and Fabric 4 toward the outside. The (4) 5-1/2 squares of Fabric 4 are the corners.


There! Wasn't that easy?!





No comments: