Friday, February 1, 2019

February Tutorial for Hive 2


Hello all,

This is my third year with Stash Bee.  I was in last year and prior to that was a member in 2016.

Unfortunately, I still do not have either of those quilts together.  Most of the reason is that I let "squirrels" get the better of me and I keep starting new things instead of finishing the old things!

But, one of my goals for 2019 is to be more deliberate in my actions. . . and to work on one main project at a time.  We will see how that goes.

February is a short month so for this year I have picked a really easy pattern, Boxed Squares.  You can find the PDF for the pattern here: https://maryquilts.com/boxed-squares/
The block is 12" (finished) or 12 1/2" unfinished and is made up of 4 6" quadrants.
For each quadrant you need:


2 strips that measure 2 1/2" x 6 1/2"  Color A
2 squares that measures 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" Color A


1 square that measures 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" Color B



Sew the Color B square between the Color A squares to make the second row:


Then sew the Color A strips to the top and bottom of the center strip to complete the
quadrant:


Here are some of the quadrants that I have done:


Please do not sew your quadrants together. . . . I will do that once I get the blocks so that I can distribute the colors.


And, as for colors, anything goes. . . . all that I ask is that you make 2 light blocks with dark centers and 2 dark blocks with light centers.


For me light & dark are relative. . . as long as the center square does not "disappear" into the outside fabric it works.


Conversation prints are fine. . . .I just ask that if you are using a directional fabric (like my dog fabric) you put all the pieces in the same direction.

Thank you for helping me make this quilt. . . it will be fun to see what fabrics everyone comes up with.

If any one has any questions please let me know.


In peace & pieces,

Sherry V.








3 comments:

Kathryn said...

I love raiding my 2-1/2 inch strip box. This will be fun.

Velda at the Freckled Fox Quiltery said...

Oooh. I am momma to two Standard Poodles so I need to know where you got the dog themed fabric. I love it.

Anna said...

I'm hive crashing, please send me your address so I can send you my blocks. DamascSt@gmail.com