Saturday, March 1, 2014

Hive 2 March Block Tutorial

What is your name?
Dana

Where do you live?
Currently in the Greater Kansas City Area on the Kansas side. 

Tell us about your family.
My husband and I have been married for 12 years.  We have a toddler and four crazy dogs.  Things get a little hectic at our house.    

Tell us about how you got interested in quilting. 
About 5 years ago, I wanted to make a t-shirt quilt out of some old band t-shirts.  It looked like something a beginner could do, so I dove in.  I happened to work with a quilter, who was going to teach another co-worker how to quilt, and she invited me over so that I had someone who could answer questions and have quilting company.  It was all over after that.   

How do you organize your fabric stash? 
I use comic book boards as mini-bolts. 


For fabric that is too short to wrap, I have scrap boxes that I sort by color or by project they were used on.  These look like they are about to bust—they are pretty full.   



Who is/are your favorite fabric designers? 
I tend to be drawn to bright, colorful Moda fabrics.

What is one thing you have learned that you wish you knew when you first started quilting? 
How much ironing is involved!  I had no idea.  Although, maybe it’s good that no one told me, because I may not have started.  Now, I’m in too deep to let the ironing stop me. 

What is your favorite sewing/quilting tool and why should we all go out and buy it? 
My 6x24 inch cutting ruler and my rotary cutting handle.  The versatility of the long cutting ruler has come in handy for many projects.  Not only is it long, but it also has angle markings on it.  The rotary cutter handle is much more comfortable and easy to grip.  I didn’t think it would really matter until I tried one.  Now I can’t live without it. 


Who is your favorite fictional character and why? 
Growing up, I would have to say Nancy Drew.  I liked the mysteries and I liked having a strong, smart female character as a role model.  I also recently found some Nancy Drew fabric, so of course I had to buy some!  The Mystery at Lilac Inn was one of my favorite books as a child!



Now, on to the tutorial:
I saw this blog post on the Moda Bake Shop page and decided that the Simply Woven Quilt would be fun with lots and lots of bright stash scraps. 

Here is the link to the Moda Tutorial for more information

To make one Simply Woven Quilt block, you will need:
                2 light colored* pieces 4 inches x 8 inches
                2.5 inch wide strips in bright bold colors** cut into
                                1 strip—8 inch length
                                2 strips—9.5 inch length
                                2 strips—11 inch length
                                1 strip—12.5 inch length


*Your light colored fabric can be white, cream, beige, light gray, white on white pattern…you get the idea.  For my sample blocks, I used a marbled cream fabric and a white on white fabric.  Lighter and toned down is better, but since the goal is to use our stashes, I don’t want anyone to have to go out and buy something, so use what you’ve got!  
**The strips can be solid or patterns, single color or multi-color.  Please just try to avoid pastels.


Step 1
Sew the light colored pieces to the long edges of the 2.5 x 8 inch strip and press seams open***

***I usually don’t care too much about which direction the seams are pressed.  However, it is much easier with all the cutting and re-sewing that is part of this block if the seams are pressed open. 


Step 2
Rotate the piece so the strip you just sewed is horizontal.  Make a cut in half vertically.  You should have 2 pieces that are 9.5 x 4 inches



Step 3
Take one of your 9.5 inch strips and sew the above pieces to the long edges.  Press seams open.



Step 4
Rotate so that the piece you just added is horizontal.  Cut a 1.5 inch strip off of the left side.



Step 5
Take your remaining 9.5 inch strip and sew the above pieces to the long edges.  Press seams open.



Step 6
Rotate so the strip you just added is horizontal at the bottom of your block.  Cut a 1.5 inch strip off of the left side.



Step 7
Take one of your 11 inch strips and sew the above pieces to the long edges of the strip.  Press seams open.



Step 8
Rotate so that the strip you just added is horizontal at the bottom of your block.  Cut a 1.5 inch strip off of the left side.



Step 9
Take your remaining 11 inch strip and sew the above pieces to the long edges of the strip.  Press seams open.



Step 10
Rotate so that the piece you just added is at the bottom of your block.  Cut a 1.5 inch strip off of the left side. 



Step 11
Take your 12 inch strip and sew the above pieces to the long edges of the strip.  Press seams open.



You should now have a 12.5 inch block that looks awesome! 

Mine actually came out to just over 12 inches, so as long as yours are somewhere between 12-12.5 inches, then that’s ok.  I guess my seam allowances are a bit generous!   I would like for the blocks to be at least 12 inches though.  If you want to send more than 1 block, I’m totally ok with that too!  They look complicated, but are actually pretty easy to make. 

Here are a few others I made:





Enjoy!

Dana

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to start this one! :)