Sunday, July 1, 2012

Hive #1 July Block

This is my first time writing a tutorial, so if you have any questions please email me at kbreese@gmail.com.

I would like everyone to make a “Stained” quilt block.
You can choose any of the blocks from the quilt-a-long Narcoleptic In A Cupboard.
Or you can follow the tutorial I made below of block 4.
Or you can make up your own version.

For the large blocks you can use bright colors (think pink, purple, orange, green, blue, etc.)
If you do not have bright colors, just make sure you colors will look good with the bright ones!
For the borders I request that you use Kona Medium gray.
I see that they have it in stock here:(Fat Quarter Shop). 
If you know of another place that has it, leave a comment below to let us know.
Because this block uses so little of the gray, I can send you some if you would like.
Just email me and I will get it in the mail.

This block will end up being 11” x 12”.

Ok, take your bright colored fabrics and cut from them: 
1 – 4.5” x 4.5”
1 – 7” x 4”
1 – 11” x 1.5”
1 – 4.5” x 2.5”
1 – 5” x 4.5”
2 – 2.5” x 2.5”
1 – 4” x 2.5”

Take your Grey and cut from it”
1 – 1” x 11”
1 – 1” x 4.5”
1 – 1” x 9.5”
1 – 1” x 7”
1 – 1” x 6.5”
1 – 1” x 2.5”


You can lay them out according to the tutorial.
But as you sew them together you can move pieces around as you work.


If you have any questions, please email me!

-luv-
Kristy Lou

8 comments:

supersara20 said...

Does anyone know if Bella Solids Grey is the same as the Kona Medium Grey? Hoping to use what I have but if I need to buy more I will!

Samantha said...

Sara, I just ordered half a yard from Fabric.com so I can send you some if you want. I won't need the entire half yard unless I really mess it up more than about 5 times. ;)

supersara20 said...

Thanks, I just found out about the stash builder club on Pink Castle so I was ordering that anyway so I went ahead and got some medium grey plus some yellow and red stash builders because I always seem low on those! I appreciate your willingness to share!

cheeky monkey said...

Lovely block! I made the quilt already and it will be so colorful when finished. Girls have fun on this!

Strawberry Patch said...

My block is made, it will be in the post to you tomorrow :-)

Taisia @ Piecing Light said...

oh YAY I do have a FQ of Med Grey. Hooray for my Kona-stashing of many colour bundles when the postage was cheap late last year ;)

CeLynn said...

Found some Kona while in the city yesterday,Yay! Will be making this this evening or within the next couple of evenings :)

Second Chance Tan said...

Your grey strips arrived today - thanks so much. I have made my block this evening - will blog about it when I have taken a photo in the daylight - I really enjoyed making this block x