Sunday, February 1, 2015

Hive 6 February Block

Hello Hive 6!  Happy February!  My name is Samantha Linehan, and I'll be your Queen Bee this month.  I live in Cumming, GA, USA, a suburb of Atlanta, with my Husband Nick and my two boys, Tommy (6) and Ben (4).  We moved to GA last March from Phoenix, AZ

I hope this month finds you keeping up on your New Year's Resolutions, and quilting away.  I find that I have been very productive so far this year.  One of my resolutions was to actually, really and truly, finish some projects.  I'm excited to say that I finished a quilt top for my six-year-old son's quilt, last week.  We started it in June.  I am very motivated to quilt it now.  I'm hoping that with my "break" in February as Queen Bee, I'll get it finished.  We'll see...

February is a short month.  I know how fast the month can go with kids, and Valentine's Day, and Valentine's day with kids in school.  So this month I picked a really easy block.  Also, I always find myself sick of red and pink by the end of February, so I am steering clear of those colors.  In December, my Modern Quilters Guild had a mini quilt exchange.  I wanted to try something different, so I made a 24 inch square disappearing 9 patch quilt.  It was fun to play with, and super quick and easy.

This time around, I want to make a more scrappy version.  I am asking you to look through your stash for fabrics in these colors: lime green, navy or royal blue, gray, and white.


Choose your favorite fabrics, and cut them into 5.5 inch squares.  You need a total of 9 squares.  Then sew them together using a quarter inch seam, into a 9 patch pattern.  That's it!  Easy, right?  These are the blocks I made.  You can see I varied the amounts of each color in the blocks, but I chose to make each square a different fabric.  If you want to repeat fabrics within a square that is up to you.






In order to make a disappearing 9 patch, I will cut these blocks into quarters, mix them up, and sew them back together.  But I will do the cutting after I have received all of your 9 patches.  So happy sewing something easy for a short month!

I would like to know... Have you made any goals for yourself this year?  What are you doing to work toward success?

No comments: