Saturday, February 28, 2015

HIVE #9 March Tutorial


HIVE #9 MARCH TUTORIAL

     
     Hi Ladies!  Greetings from frozen solid Michigan!  Thankfully, Spring is right around the corner, and I am ready!

     This is my 2nd year in the Stash Bee and I thoroughly enjoy it.  Everyone is so creative!  

     My question for you is this:  If you could go back in time and witness any moment in history, what would it be?

     For my block, this is what I have chosen:


It's called Linked Squares, and was designed by Christina at A Few Scraps.com for the Desperate Housewives quilt.  The link is HERE

This is what I would like for my colors:  For the squares, Print 1 &2 , I would like nice bright saturated colors. I want them to really "Pop" against the back ground.  Batiks are fine, I love them!

For the background I would like a scrappy look using greys and grey prints, any shade as long as it's not too dark. Stay away from Charcoal and Lead.  Here is my pull:

Lets get started!

Fabric A (Lg Square) :  1.5" x 22" Strip subcut into:  3)  4.5" pieces 1) 6.5" piece and 1) 1.5" piece

Fabric B (Sm Square):  1.5" x 14" Strip subcut into:  3) 4.5" pieces

Scrappy Back Ground:  1) 1.5" x 4.5" piece             *Note:  If you want the inside of the Lg. Square
                                       1) 1.5" x 3.5" piece                          to be the same fabric, cut the 3.5" x 4.5" 
                                       2) 2.5" x 4.5" pieces                        and the 1.5" x 3.5" pieces from the same
                                       1) 3.5" x 4.5" piece                         fabric.  If not, never mind! 



Do this first:  Sew one of the Fabric B pieces (1.5" x 4.5") to the 1.5" x 4.5" BG piece.  Now cut this into 3rds.  Each piece will be  1.5"x 2.5"

Now you have all your pieces. Follow the directions from the link and create vertical rows:


Then just sew your rows together:

This block only has 3 small seams to match and finishes at 8 1/2"
I made a few to see how I want to arrange them.  I don't have a set idea yet but I'm leaning towards the 1st pic.

 
    

Thanks so much for helping me with my next creation!









2 comments:

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

These look like fun! Thanks for the measurements, super helpful :)

-Soma

Toni said...

This looks like a fun block. Can't wait to play with the colors.