Thursday, February 12, 2015

February hive #3 Block for Bonnie

When Bonnie asked us for a brown block for February, I thought this one might be tricky.  Most Modern Bee blocks come with the instructions, no batiks, no browns.  I’ve always been OK with that as brown wouldn’t be a colour I’d gravitate to.  To me its mud and earth so imagine my surprise when I went through my stash looking for browns, tan, mushroom and a touch of eggplant (aubergine in my neck of the woods!) and came up with all of this!

_DSF6918

So much for not liking brown!  Bonnie was very helpful with the fabric selection asking us not to use
prints with white, flowers, novelty, or text so I removed those fabrics in this category and ended up with this bunch as my final selection.

_DSF6920

We were asked if we had any spare strips they would be gratefully received so I am sending some tans, a dark purple and even though the mushroom strip has flowers they are small and modern so I hope they too will be of use.

_DSF6935

The block itself was really easy and improv.  Sew the strips together 1” to 3” in width and try not to keep the lines too straight!  My block finished up at 17” x 20” so Bonnie can trim to fit in where ever she needs to place this block.  I’m really looking forward to seeing how this all pulls together!

_DSF6934

Onto the get to know you question:
Tell me 5 notions you CANNOT live without!  And then 5 foods you CANNOT live without!

Notions
  1. Creative Grids 4” x 14” ruler, use it all the time!
  2. Grey chalk marking tool by Clover, just blow on it and most of it disappears
  3. 10 pack of Clover wonder clips – don’t know how I managed without these for so long!
  4. Seam Ripper – I have 4 of them!
  5. Fiskars Titanium tipped scissors.
Food
  1. Cheese & Onion crisps (Irish brand Tayto’s in particular)
  2. Chicken Fajitas
  3. Raspberry yoghurt
  4. White chocolate (love milky bars!)
  5. Tea! I am very partial to a cup of Irish breakfast tea!
Thanks Bonnie for letting us stretch those improv muscles – hope you like your block!
-Ruth

No comments: