Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Hive 4 - August Tutorial - Magic Stars for Marissa

 Hello!

This is my second year doing stash bee.  I have had so much fun making blocks for everyone so far! I found a super easy tutorial for this month. They’re magic stars because they only appear when you put 4 blocks together.

The tutorial is here:

https://quirksltd.wordpress.com/2021/01/24/new-weapon/

Fabrics:

I found this amazing batik layer cake, which I am so excited to use. The colors are inspired by the sunset, so I’m looking for dark blues, purples, reds, a little bit of orange or yellow. I’m pairing these with cream colored fabrics.

For both of the fabrics, blenders, batiks, and small to medium scale prints are all great. Please no solids for this block. 

Batik inspiration prints



Process Pics:

You’ll need 1 10” square of a cream and a darker color.


You’ll make 2 cuts in each of your squares. As per the tutorial, you'll cut a 3.5" section off of the 10" square, then turn the large rectangle and cut a 3.5" section off the side. This pic shows the 2 cuts and the finished sizes of the pieces. 


You’ll then swap the center squares and sew them back into a larger square. 


Press the seams however you prefer - I’m not picky. Trim the extra off, then cut across both blocks diagonally. You’ll be cutting a corner off of the big square.





Swap the pieces, and sew along the bias.  There are no seams to match - just line up the edges. This is the only seam I typically use pins for, to help keep them from stretching. 



Open them up and press. Please don't trim; I'll trim them all when they arrive. The tutorial says that these can finish at 9", but my first two aren't the same size, so don't worry if they're not square or not 9”. I’ve also discovered that my layer cake squares aren’t square (!!!!), so I expect I will end up trimming all of them down to 8.5” or so.




You only need to send me one of the blocks, although I would be happy to receive the second as well. :) If you do only send one, please send the darker one.

No comments: