Monday, May 1, 2023

Hive 6 Tutorial for May - Baby Four Patch Block

 Hello Hive Mates! I was originally planning on exactly what Debbie chose (great minds think alike ;) ), so I decided to switch it up instead. This month I have chosen a Baby Four Patch Block that I found on Quilting Daily. It reminds me of a bear paw, but it's something that I haven't really seen before. 

The complete block quarters. This is what you will send. 

Like what Debbie did, I'm requesting that you make the four block quarters and then mail them to me so that I can distribute them across the quilt top. The unfinished quilt block will be 16.5" square and the unfinished block quarters (each colored section you see above) will be 8.5" square. I used a scant 1/4" seam allowance. 

The Colors

I am aiming for a quilt with rich colors that screams "FALL!" For the background, please choose a dark blue/navy color. Some white/gray/black in the navy is fine as long as overall it reads as navy/dark blue. For the main colors, I'm aiming for mustard yellow, olive green, fuchsia, burnt orange, caramel and a light peachy pink. Here are some photos of my fabric pull and coordinating Kona swatches. 







 Prints and patterns are preferred, but solids are great as well. Please no batiks or novelty prints. This is a great opportunity to use your scraps! If possible, I'd prefer the background navys to be scrappy. It is up to you if you want to make the colored section of each quarter out of the same fabric or various scraps of the same color (all mustard pieces or all fuchsia scraps). However, I am requesting that each quarter feature a different color (in my example above I have one peach, one fuchsia, one mustard and one olive). 

Cutting For *EACH* Quarter
Each HST will be 2.5" square before assembling the block quarters. Feel free to use your preferred HST method. I am including links to the 2-at-a-time method, the 4-at-a-time method and the 8-at-a-time method

- 2-at-a-time method -
(4) 3" colored squares and (4) 3" navy squares

- 4-at-a-time method -
(2) 4" colored squares and (2) 4" navy squares

- 8-at-a-time method - 
(1) 6" colored square and (1) 6" navy square

*** The above cuts leave no room for squaring off. I used a scant 1/4" SA and my blocks came together well, but if you'd prefer to square up your HSTs, I'd recommend adding a 1/2" to each cut piece (i.e. 3.5" square instead of 3" square)

- Colored Fabric - 
Each quarter will need (1) 4.5" square in addition to the squares used to make the HSTs. 

-Background-
Each quarter will need (4) 2.5" navy squares in addition to the navy listed above for the HSTs. 

Here are my quarters with all the pieces laid out before sewing. 

Sew the rows together as shown above. 

Feel free to message me on IG in the group chat if you have any questions. I am so excited to see your blocks! 





No comments: