Sunday, January 7, 2018

Are you a gadget girl or guy?

I’m thinking about gadgets and how we use them.  I’m also thinking ahead to the block I will ask my Hive 2  Bee buddies to make for me...away into the future.  That led me to start thinking (and dreaming and drooling) about my new obsession...curved blocks. .FYI, for me this is the year of the curve.  I am resolved to master this skill in 2018.

I know many of us are a tiny bit freaked out about making blocks with curves.  Ask me someday about my theory re how the drunkards path block was named....I’m convinced the maker may have had one...or six...glasses of wine during the construction period.

So after that somewhat convoluted introduction, I want to know what rulers and gadgets you rely on in your cupboard.  I’m also curious if you have any tips on how you use these gadgets to make better blocks. And...of course I want to know how comfortable you are making curved blocks...because I’m really really interested in making a quilt that involves lots of beautiful curves.

These are the rulers and or gadgets I have purchased over the years because they seduced me into thinking that I could, with their help, produce a perfect arc.

Quick Curve Ruler
Quick Curve Mini Ruler
Omni Arc
EZ Circle Ruler

I’ve had various levels of success and some spectacular failures  with all these products.  Right now, my go-to Ruler is the EZ Circle. I like it because it’s really versatile and can be used to cut many sized arcs, and half or full circles..  It is however somewhat fragile...Either that or I have a very heavy hand...mine broke in two pieces  at the 10” mark...but I can still use it.  And I intend to use it a whole lot this year.

How about you? Are you a curvey girl or guy? Do you have tools in your toolbox to make curved blocks?  Would you be comfortable to do so? Let me know in the comments.

5 comments:

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

I have done 1 curve block in last years bee. It was my first. cut it with a paper template. I have no curve rulers.

Lynda said...

I am working on a BOM using the mini quick curve (urbanology) and some of the blocks are kicking my rear - I should not have started my curvy adventure with a mini!

Emily said...

I bought a quilt pattern and a class that advertised, "afraid of curves? This class is for you and will get you over that fear." That was January 2013. That project is still unfinished and I have not stitched a stitch on it since the class. I have not mastered curves! But I would absolutely do my best if someone asked for a curved block! I own the "curves for squares" ruler because it was required for the class.

Sue said...

I have a full set of drunkards path templates for the circle bits only (used with quite good results), the QCR and another set for drunkards path blocks for full blocks in 3 different sizes still in their packaging. I would love to try the glam clam. Good luck with conquering the curve!

Liz Horgan said...

I've made 2 quilts with the quick curve ruler--they have some great patterns. I was a little difficult at first understanding trimming, but they came out beautiful!They have videos or tutorials for using the ruler.
I also did curves using templates in 2 of Melissa Corry's (Happy Quilter) quilt alongs. She goes into detail with cutting, pinning and sewing curves.
Good for you for jumping into curves--they aren't that hard, and your quilts will look beautiful!