Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Hive 11 block

What is your name? Melissa

Where do you live? Northwest Indiana

Tell us about your family (Spouse, kids, grandkids, pets, etc.) Married, with two kitties




This is Minnie & Pepé (Minnie is the brown one).  They keep me company when I quilt!

Tell us about how you got interested in quilting. I took a sewing class in high school.  One of the teachers quilted, and I wanted to make one (I still have it), then I made one for my grandma.  And it just kind of took off from there!


This is my grandma and her quilt.  It has the only cross stitch thing I have ever finished.  I bought fabric from Jo-Ann's in a fat quarter pack I believe, and just cut along the seams!! I also used some of her and my grandpa's shirts.



This is the first one I made.  It has a little bit of everything in it!!

How do you organize your fabric stash? (Picture appreciated) I just have them in tubs, not neatly folded or anything.

Who is/are your favorite fabric designers? I don't really know designers, I started by buying fabric at Jo-Ann's, and have recently started buying online from shops and shops near me.
What is one thing you have learned that you wish you knew when you first started quilting? I am not sure I could pinpoint one thing.  I have been quilting for almost 15 years now, and even when I look back at things I did three years ago, I've learned so much, and continually learn so much!  I will say my first finished quilt, I didn't know how to use a rotary cutter, and bought a fat quarter pack (I think, they were folded) and I cut along the fold lines!
What is your favorite sewing/quilting tool and why should we all go out and buy it? I love the June tailor any cut ruler.  It makes strip cutting SO easy.
Who is your favorite fictional character and why? (Could be from a book, movie, TV show, etc.) Shrek.  He knows that what really matters isn't on the outside.

My block:

I am going to (I hope) make this easy.  I would like any star block in the colors red, black, yellow or white.  I plan on making another Kansas City chiefs quilt (I put the picture of mine below).  So any combination of colors, you want black and white, go for it! you want all four go for it!  It does NOT have to be solids!!


So any star block that finishes at 12" so is 12.5" unfinished. 

Thank you! Happy Stitching!

No comments: