Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Hive 4 - June Block - Friendship Hexagon

HIVE 4 BLOCK FOR JUNE 2012

 

Pattern: Friendship Hexagon

Tutorial available at: Don't Call Me Betsy



Due to the quick turn-around nature of this tutorial, I haven't been able to do a run-through of the block yet.  I do plan on making my own block(s) in the next few days and posting them as examples and highlighting any problems I have in the course of following Don't Call Me Betsy's tutorial.

The benefit of this block is that it is HSTs and squares, and it shouldn't require any particular solids.  It looks like it will come together pretty easily...at least I hope it does!


The above picture is from Don't Call Me Betsy (Elizabeth Dackson)

 Here is the information for the block.

1.  Background - None
2.  Colors - Teal/Turquoise (not sure which is more appropriate here), Grey, White, Chartreuse, Green
3.  Please don't trim the block when you have finished sewing it. I will trim them once I receive them all.

My Own Fabric Pull (upside down, of course!)
These are the colors I have pulled for my blocks - feel free to use solids in your blocks if you want, as long as the block has a mix of patterned fabrics as well.  Thanks to the terrible lighting in my apartment, along with my less-than-reliable processing from my camera phone, the chartreuse shows up really yellow, but trust me, there's a bit a green that comes through.  The comforter underneath will be what the finished quilt will coordinate with on my bed.  (I needed something a dude would be OK to sleep under too.)

According to the tutorial at Don't Call Me Betsy, the finished size of the block will be 12.5". As I mentioned before, the block appears to be pretty simple to put together (HSTs and squares) but it makes a really striking pattern.  I do ask that you follow the general layout provided in the tutorial to preserver the center focus, but which colors you substitute where in the pattern are completely up to you!

I'd love to have two blocks from everyone if possible.

If you have any questions please e-mail me at mandytodd@gmail.com.  I'm looking forward to see what y'all come up with - the previous blocks have all been outstanding!

Mandy

4 comments:

Cyndi said...

So the comforter underneath and the matching fabric is really gray? It looks brown -- you did say the lighting was poor but I want to confirm. Would it be like Kona charcoal that 's in the Hive #2 May blocks? Or lighter? These blocks will be fun to make!

Saltwater Quilts said...

Yes, I have the same question...

Mandy Todd said...

Man, that lighting really is awful. One day, when I get back into a house (after I get rid of my current house I'm trying to sell in GA), I'm going to have tons of wide open windows and lots of overhead lighting that shows true colors.

In the meantime, I will confirm that the comforter color is indeed a darker gray (more like Kona Charcoal than Ash).

Diane-crewe said...

made them today... tutorial is GREAT! Never seen this method before.. WILL be using it again xx