Sunday, July 3, 2016

Hive 8 -Queen Bee (Squeal!)


This is Patti from Hive 8. My original month was August but due to someone dropping out (I got the email yesterday), I moved up a month (thus the tutorial is a couple days late).  The block I chose this month is the Quatrefoil. My color choice is purple, lime, turquoise and white. The best tutorial is of course, from Blossom Heart Quilts. http://www.blossomheartquilts.com/2015/09/the-bee-hive-quatrefoil/  (she seriously writes the best tutorials!).  If you would like to see more samples of the quatrefoil, there are a ton on Instagram under #quatrefoilblock and #quatrefoilquilt.  This is my color palette:



Here’s fabric I pulled from my stash that would fit my color palette. As a newer quilter, most of my fabrics are modern. Please don’t use batiks or retro fabric. Also, I used Kona White for the background. If you don’t have Kona White, please make sure you use a true white fabric.




I’m a member of another bee and I actually chose this same block and color way when it was my turn in January.  I absolutely LOVED the way the blocks turned out, so I am choosing it again, because then I will have over 20 blocks and can make a nice size lap quilt. I’m excited to see all of your blocks.  Here are a few of my blocks.


Here’s a look at how the quilt will look when it is all put together.




The block should end up 12.5” x 12.5”. Please read the directions carefully, and ask if you have any questions.  This block goes together pretty quickly. 

Referencing the tutorial:
Fabric A is turquoise
Fabric B is purple
Fabric C is lime

The turquoise, purple and lime fabric can be small print, tone on tone or a solid.

I know I will love what you make and I can’t wait for all of my happy mail. Thanks for all of your efforts on my block! I wish my pictures were better, I can’t figure out how to get good lighting when I take my pics. L  Oh, and one last thing, when you post my finished block, tell us a little bit about your quilting journey (just for fun!). I have been quilting for a couple of years. I have actually sewn for many, many years, but my daughter got me into quilting a couple of years ago. It’s quickly become my “therapy”. Happy Quilting!!

1 comment:

Puppilalla said...

Beautiful block and colour choice =)