Monday, August 1, 2016

Hive 1 August Block Tutorial...


Hi everyone, I hope you're all finding a way to stay cool during the summer heat.  Several years ago, an old friend decided she didn't have time to make a quilt she had purchased a kit for and she no longer loved the fabric in the kit. She offered me the kit and  I took the kit with the agreement that I would do something with the fabric and when I was done she could donate the quilt to her charity of choice. So I'm going to ask all of you to help me keep this promise. I've decided to use the Tic Tac Toe block. There is a great tutorial at Blossom Heart Quilts. This is a fun and easy block to make, I had one block put together in 30 minutes.


The photo above is the fabric that came in the kit. As you can see it's all bright yellows with medium blues. I went into my stash to find some fabrics that compliment these fabrics.
I pulled these blues and yellows from my stash. This block requires 3 fabrics, my request is that you use bright yellow, along with medium blue and a white solid or white on white fabric (please no cream, tan or gray).

Cutting Directions:
4 – 4.5″ x 4.5″ print A (blue)
1 – 4.5″ x 4.5″ print B (yellow)
12 – 2.5″ x 2.5″ print B (yellow)
4 – 4.5″ x 4.5″ background (white)

The block will measure 12.5".

First draw a diagonal line on the back of all twelve, yellow 2.5" squares with your favorite marking tool.

Sew a yellow, 2.5" square to the bottom right hand corner of a blue square. Trim away excess fabric and press towards the yellow fabric.

Sew a yellow, 2.5" square to the bottom right hand corner of a white square. Trim away excess fabric and press towards the yellow fabric.
Sew a yellow, 2.5" square to the top right hand corner of the white squares. Trim away excess fabric and press towards the yellow fabric.
Layout the squares as shown and sew each row together.

Combine the rows to finish the block.


I made a few more blocks so you could see what they look like together. I really like the secondary pattern that emerges with this block and I think this will end up being a fun cheery quilt. Have fun and please email me if you have any questions.

1 comment:

Francis Paul said...

that's a fun block to make and a good cause too :-)