Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Hive 5 August Block for MJ


Hey Stash Bee-ites!

This block is for the awesome MJ, who requested modern/improv-y blocks for a sampler quilt in beachy colors in shades of aqua, turquoise, tans, grays, pale green, beige, with a touch of rust. I obviously had a lot of grays, and not so much of the other colors, but I promise the grays are not as dark as they look. 

The only rust I had was in this print from an old Jay McCarroll line. I made that square in a square block ages ago for another quilt, and it never got used. It's been eagerly awaiting a spot in something, and I realized the colors were exactly right for this quilt.

For motivation, MJ sent us over to 42 Quilts' Modern Monday--WOW. That was super helpful, except I found about twenty blocks I thought I could make. I settled on a very loose interpretation of block 61 and let my fabric take me where it would.

Hope y'all are having an awesome week! MJ, I'll try to get this in the mail this weekend.

3 comments:

Mjcooksgrte said...

Audrey:
I LOVE your improv interpretation and the colors are spot on! Finding a home for your little orphan block is a great bonus too.
Thank you so much. ;-)
MJ

Sherry VF said...

Love it! The symmetrical square in a square really sets off the improv strips.

Patty said...

Cool!