Monday, August 1, 2016

August Block, Hive 2

Happy August! 

Hi everyone! I’m Miranda, better known as TheGeek. I’m a math and science teacher for grades 7-12 in the beautiful mountains of Northern New Mexico. I started quilting a few years ago after I lost my job for being in a car accident (sprained wrist = no ice cream scooping for a few weeks. No ice cream scooping = no job) and got stuck at home in the boonies for several months. It’s become a bit of an obsession, and I’m now the youngest member of my local quilter’s guild by a couple of decades (I'm 26 this month).

I’ve selected the Urban Chicken block, tutorial here (https://wombatquilts.com/2013/10/23/playing-with-urban-chickens/) with some adjustments. I’m not fond of 4x4 blocks, or any square-based block that doesn’t have a defined center, so my block will be a 5x5. It should finish about 15" to 15.5”
Here are the ones I've made already

A note on fabrics: I’m doing this one in all colors, but please, no brown and go easy on the pink. I like to combine my pinks with reds whenever I can, but if you want to do a whole pink block, just please try to veer away from hot bubblegum pinks. Try to stick with tone on tone fabrics, solids, blenders and the like- if you have a green block, for example, I’d prefer there not be other colors in it, but black and white bits are fine. For the white parts, off white, white, white with a small black print or white-on-white patterns are all super okay. I’m using solids because I have very few of the aforementioned options. 

I’m a sucker for polka dots and botanical prints. 

For each block you need:
5 shades of the same color (I used FQs)
White scraps

Cut:
1 strip 3.5” by 18” from each colored fabric. 
10 pieces of white scrap at least 2.5” wide
I cut my white scraps in triangles to limit waste, but you don't have to.


Make the base:
1. Cut 1 3.5” square from each strip and set aside
2. Sew all 5 strips together lengthwise with a 1/4” seam allowance and press the seams to one side. 
3. Sew one end of this strata to the other to form a tube
4. Cut the tube into 4 3.5” wide sections and unpick each in a different location. 
5. Spread the strips out and arrange in whatever way suits you. Nest the seams and sew into a 5 x 4 block with 1/4” seams. Press seams open

Make the hens:
1. Lay a piece of white fabric diagonally over a colored square. Sew a scant 1/4” seam on the INSIDE of the diagonal. Press outward and square up.
2. Repeat to make the other side. 
3. Please make sure there is at least a generous 1/4” at the top of your triangle so the chickens don’t lose their heads. 
4. Arrange chickens in a strip and sew together with a 1/4” seam. Please make sure your chickens are all facing the same direction (up or down)
You'll notice that some of my chickens are a little...broad in the beam. No worries! I love fat chickens!
5. Sew chicken-strip to one side of the base block. 

6. Press seam open
One of these chickens has a broad side sewn against the block. I don't mind this either.
HAPPY STITCHING!

2 comments:

Pam said...

WOW! your nine assembled blocks are outstanding. Colors are brilliant and vivacious.

Unknown said...

Absolutley love your block. Am anxious to get into my pile of fabric and pick a color... Love what you have already.