Thursday, February 25, 2016

Finished 2015 Quilt

Finally...I can show you my finished 2015 Stash Bee quilt :)

I always wanted to have a string quilt and the bee provided the perfect mix for it!

As always, a few lessons were learned - #1, the next time I make a string quilt, I will use muslin as a foundation and not paper. It will provide stability and minimize frustration about paper choice, stitch length, etc. This will also make it easier for the long arm quilter as the top will not bubble as much!.


I named it "The Blood Ruby" - once I laid out all the blocks I realized that the quilt could use a focal point to calm it down some. So I pieced a ruby :)


It was quilted by the lovely Joanne Lendaro from Splitting Stitches with bubbles.


The back has one of my hand dyed pieces as a focal point but I also used different Konas and some left over blocks from the front.
I bound it in a black/white striped fabric to frame the 82" x 82" craziness.

Thank you 2015 Hive 3 for your blocks!!!



5 comments:

Tracy Hansen said...

Gorgeous! Front and back!

Emily said...

This is so pretty and colorful and fun! Great finish!

Kathy Bertelsen said...

Beautiful

Cut&Alter said...

This is gorgeous - you must be very happy. Love the addition of the ruby. Thanks for the tip re muslin as a base because one day I would love to make one of these.

Kim @ TiesThatBindQuilting said...

I had my hive make this same block and I agree - muslin foundation is the way to go! Tearing all those papers off took forever!

Your's turned out great!