Thursday, June 25, 2015

Hive 9 - June Block for Jacki

Hello all, Shauna here and I'm going to show you the block I made for Jacki. Let me start by saying I don't like this block, I in fact really really dislike this block. Ok not really, but I do not like the 4 at a time half square triangle method. When I saw the tutorial, I thought wow that looks easy enough I will be able to bang out a couple of these blocks in no time.

Then reality hit, and it hit hard. I made my first block, and it is just wonky. It stretched way to much even with starch, and I didn't really like my fabric choices. I love the idea of black and white blocks, but I found there is a trick to mixing them so they don't look too busy.


So I picked some different fabric and decided I would do the HST the old fashion way. I looked on the internet and found the formula to make them and cut another set of fabric. I figured the finished size of the block and divided it by two to get the size of the HST I would need. Any of you experienced quilters see a problem with that idea???  There is a problem with it, a big one, I didn't allow for seam allowances.  So I made the HST, and assembled the first block only it was way too small.


I didn't even cut into thirds because I knew it was too small. But I really liked the mix of fabrics better. Alas I didn't have enough to do another block in those fabrics, so I pulled more fabric and cut another set. This time I over sized it, figuring it is better to cut down than be too small. Using the traditional HST method the block went together, very easily and looks pretty cool.


Since Jacki's layout isn't a traditional layout I'm going to send her all three blocks because she maybe able to use them. I can't wait to see her quilt finished because it is such a cool idea. Now she asked us if we thought the blocks were taking off or landing on her drawing of the quilt. I think they are landing or falling into place.  I'm not sure what that says about me since most of my bee mates said they were taking off. Luckily Toni said landing too or I would have really thought something was wrong with me.

I can say I learned a lot doing this block, more on what I like and don't like, but hey I accept all learning experiences as a good thing. So although I'm not putting a quilt with this block on my bucket list, I'm very glad I got to make it.

2 comments:

Granny Maud's Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Granny Maud's Girl said...

The HST magic number is 7/8. If your finished square is 2 inches, you cut 2 7/8 squares and then in half on the diagonal. I always add a full inch and then square up after sewing. The final block uses great fabrics. Sorry to hear it was such a pain.