Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Hive 2, June Blocks

June has been a busy month, a graduation of a doctor son, a holiday and joining the New Quilter's Blog Hop, plus of course the housework, the ironing that isn't actually quilting related and all that sort of stuff. Oh, and work.


I was looking forward to doing these blocks. Not only has Yvonne been kind enough to show an interest in my quilting and blogging over the last few months, she has also been soo busy and helpful with the New Quilter's Blog Hop. I've been lucky, Yvonne is my bee momma, and it has been great knowing her already.

I was also excited, because like Yvonne I love getting letters. My husband used to write me letters, now its mostly emails, because we are too busy to phone each other (?). Emails, have you done this, can you do this, what are you doing? I'm only joking, he writes nice emails too. But, we used to write letters. Sometimes because I lived in a flat with no phone, and heaven forfend, there were no mobiles in those days. A letter arrived next day. And sometimes, we wrote because we were romantic. My proposal came in a letter. Enough.

Yvonne asked for a 16.5" block with a texty insert, a lv background and two shades of colour for the envelope. My first was a blue one. I love blue. Never have enough blue. Airmail letters used to be blue. And the texty fabric nicely toned in.


I was so pleased with this, I made another. As a thank you to Yvonne I decided to cut into my treasured hoard of Doe fabric, by Carolyn Friedlander. I picked the greys and used a computer board texty print for the letter. Seems rather appropriate in these high tech days.


And, I came across this rocket boy fabric in Fluffy Sheep Quilting, an online  quilt shop based in Galway, Ireland. It seemed rather apt, though I have a feeling Yvonne posted that she had bought some of this very fabric. Well, maybe a little more might be useful! I bought a FQ and divided it between us. As someone who is constantly dieting, I hesitate to say a Fat Eighth. An eighth of anything is never fat.

Helen x

No comments: