Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Hive 9 - March Tutorial

Hi, everyone!

This is my third year doing Stash Bee and I love it!  The blocks that our hive has made thus far are so fun!  I hope that mine will be just as fun for you in March.

This is a scrap buster block.  Each block will be a 1/4 Wonky Log Cabin block, using a variety of vibrant color prints.  Please limit the use of pinks (wink!), and please no metallics, batiks, black or brown; thanks.  Your block should be at least 16 1/2" - 17" on each side.  Please leave blocks unfinished, as I will square up blocks to the needed 16 1/2".  Thanks.

For my sample blocks, I started with a 3 1/2" square and 3" x 4 1/2" block, respectively.  Please use a square or rectangle to start your block that is no smaller than 2 1/2" and no larger than 5" on either side.

Find your starter block, gather your scraps and get started!

Start adding strips to two sides of the block.  Like this....

 


Feel free to piece together scraps to make a strip!

And before you know it, the block is complete and you've used up some of your scraps!  




Please remember to leave the block unfinished and I will square up to the needed 16 1/2".  These are my blocks squared up.



The current plan is for the blocks to be laid out to make a complete log cabin block like this.

I can't wait to see and receive all the fun blocks you all create.  Thank you for helping me to make this special quilt.

TTFN!

Christina








2 comments:

Allison/Savage Pink said...

Awesome block choice, Christina. (Even if you did choose one that was on my list... no problem! My list is long).
Really look forward to making a couple of these for you.

Susan said...

I LOVE your blocks! What a great way to use up scraps! I look forward to seeing the finished quilt!