Saturday, September 1, 2012

September Block for Hive 4

Hi everyone, I am Caroline. I am so excited to be Bee Mama for Hive 4 this month. I am a stay at home mum to two little girls aged 2 and 4.  I am British but currently live in Finland. We are here for my husband's job and this is our second stint here, we lived in Toronto for a while too. Finland is beautiful except in October and November when it doesn't really get light and it rains and sleets most days!

I would love you to make one 12 inch scrappy log cabin block this month, like the one below. I would like it to be bright, happy colours and prints. I would prefer not browns or blacks. 



Tutorial



Step 1: Start with a 3x3 inch square. The strips of fabric you are going to attach can be anything from 1-3 inches wide. I would like a variety of strip widths in the block please.


Step 2: Cut a strip of fabric that is 3 inches long and between 1-3inches wide. Sew this strip to the top edge of your 3 inch square and press seams.



Step 3:

Add the next strip of fabric to the right side of the square and press seams.



Step 4:

Add the next strip of fabric to the bottom of the square/rectangle.



Continue adding the fabric strips in a clockwise direction.


Continue adding strips until you have a block that is at least 12x12inches.



 Please don't worry about trimming your blocks. I will do that when they get to me. If you have any questions please let me know. Thank you all so much. I can't wait to see your blocks.

Carolinex

4 comments:

Carol said...

Great block. I've linked to the Hive page!

roccagal said...

luv this block-great choice!

Saltwater Quilts said...

Yay! I love this block and I love using a variety of bright colors. Great choice!

Kelsey said...

Great choice! Can't wait to get started