Saturday, July 1, 2017

Pumpkin Block, Hive 4 Tutorial for July

Hello Hive 4,

I'm Lori. My husband and I have lived in southeast Michigan our whole lives.  We have two daughters (and two son in laws) who all live out of state.  This is my third year with the Stash Bee and this year my daughter, Alison, and I are in the same hive.

Now, on the this months' block.

This block comes from a free Craftsy pattern https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/patterns/free-pumpkin-quilt-block-tutorial/265875  These sweet little pumpkins are addictive.

My color request is bright oranges with an off white/tan background.  I do ask that you use one background fabric for the entire block (not a scrappy background) and a scant 1/4" seam to yield an 8.5" unfinished block.  So here we go........

Cutting:        Orange scraps  6 @ 1.5 x 5.5"
                     Brown              1 @ 1.5" sq.
                     Green               1 @ 1.5 x 3"
                     Background     6 @ 1.5" sq.
                                              1 @ 1.5 x 3"
                                              2 @ 1.5 x 6.5"
                                              2 @ 1.5 x 8.5"

Sew 6 orange strips together and press one way

Add 4 Background 1.5" sq., one to each corner, using the stitch and flip method. Trim and press.       
 Create the leaf section by using the green 1.5 x 3" and two 1.5" sq. Of background                              
*Note: The pattern shows the leaf going to the right. I made a few with them pointing left too.  You can do the same, if you'd like.

Using the stem section from above, add the brown 1.5" sq. and the background 1.5 x 3"                    
 Sew this completed stem/leaf to the top of the orange strips                                                                   
Now add the borders. 1.5 x 6.5" of background to the sides and 1.5 x 8.5" of background to the top    and bottom 
There you have it. A cute 8.5" pumpkin block!  I hope you have as much fun making it as I did.          Here's a picture of the ones I made.


🎃 Lori

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Oh my gosh!!!! I love this!!! You guys keep picking blocks I want to do a quilt in! So fun.

Lori said...

I definitely am addicted to them. Have fun.

Needled Mom said...

Those are fabulous.