Saturday, July 1, 2023

Hive 2- July Tutorial - “Plaid-ish Block”

At the start of the year I promised myself to start finishing projects.  This quilt is for my brother and my Stashbee mates from last year, helped me make Block As from the free quilt tutorial at Free Tutorial Plaid-ish  This year I am requesting you to make Block C if you are looking at the pattern, which is not necessary to complete the block as my instructions here will be complete enough.  Almost every version of this scrappy quilt is pretty, so it may be worth paying a visit to the actual pattern at Kitchentablequilting.com or googling for images of this quilt. 

You will need dark, medium and light fabric.  My color selections include dark greys for the darks, bright fabric for the medium and low volume fabric for the light.  Here is a sample of my fabric pull:


From the medium fabric cut 4 pieces measuring 4” x 5” 

From another medium fabric cut 1 piece measuring 1.5” x 1.5”

From the light fabric cut 2 pieces measuring 1.5” x 4”

From the dark fabric cut 2 pieces measuring 1.5” x 5”

These are my cut pieces:



Next, lay out your pieces as follows and sew into three rows.  For the top and bottom rows, iron toward the outside and for the middle row iron toward the inside so that your seams nest when sewing the rows together.  



Your finished block should measure 8.5” x 10.5 “.



Hope you enjoy making this block.  It’s all about contrast, because as you see my medium is rather dark but not against the grey.  Use what you have available as this quilt is very busy and forgiving.

Kim


No comments: