Monday, July 31, 2023

Hive 2 - August Tutorial - You “Gnome” I Love You block for Amy

 You Gnome I Love You

I decided for this year’s Stash Bee, I would like to do something Christmas themed and  because of my stack of unquilted and in-progress quilts, maybe a smaller project that I will actually finish in a timely manner. I found this adorable gnome block and intend to make a table runner or runners for my mom for Christmas.

Pattern and detailed instructions can be found here: https://www.hellomellydesigns.com/you-gnome-i-love-you-block-tutorial/

The finished block will look like this:



Block Size

The block should finish around 10.5” x 11”


Fabrics

For the background, use a solid white or white on white print

For the red and green, please use a print that reads mostly green or mostly red, preferably not a licensed or novelty print, though something Christmasy would be acceptable

For the nose, I used pink as per the pattern, but feel free to use pink or any skin tone fabric you’d like, preferably solid or tone on tone.


Here is my pull:




Cutting

Red Fabric: (1) 4.5″ x 8.5″

Green Fabric: (2) 2″ x 5″, (2) 3″ x 3″, (2) 1.25″ x 1.25″

White Fabric: (2) 3″ x 5″, (2) 4.5″ x 4.5″, (2) 2″ x 2″, (4) 1.5” strips for border (9 and 11” or a bit longer to be safe)

Pink Fabric: (2) 1.25″ x 1.25″

Note: photo below shows my cut pieces, but is missing the border strips as I decided to add them when I was all finished.



Draw a line corner to corner on each of the squares as they will be used either for a flying geese block for the hat or snow ball corners for the rest of the pieces.

Lay the larger white squares on top of the Red rectangle as below and sew along the drawn line. Optional: This big piece causes quite a large waste piece when cutting the flying goose. Optionally draw a second line 1/2” from the diagonal line (as shown in my photos) and sew along it and cut between the lines for 2 bonus half square triangles…you can keep them for a fun project or I’d be happy to use them in mine if you feel so inclined to send them along.




Press open and repeat on the other side



Press Open



Set the hat aside and assemble the rest of the pieces as shown by snowballing the squares on by sewing across the diagonal lines as shown.




Press each snowball back



Sew the 4 bottom pieces and attach the hat piece to the finished body



Optional: If needed, give the block a bit of a trim to 8.5” x 9” Below is after I gave mine a little bit of a square up.



Add the 1.5” strips to each side. I did top and bottom first, and then the sides, but I am not picky about that.

 








Thank you all so much for helping me with this fun gift for my mom. I hope you have as much fun making this little guy as I did :)

<3 Amy


No comments: