Friday, August 31, 2018

Hive 7 September Tutorial: Maple Leaves

Hello! My name is Jackie and I live in Oregon. This is my 4th time being in the Stash Bee. I was a beginning member when this Bee was first formed back in 2012. I made an Arkansas Crossroads quilt which is still one of my favorites!
 


I am really looking forward to fall so I have chosen the Maple Leaf block for a fall inspired quilt. Below is a photo of prints I have pulled from my stash.  Brown, gold yellow, orange and an orange red. Dark and medium tones of these colors would be great with no other colors mixed in.


I would like the background in any cream print such as these:



You will need for the leaf/main fabric:  3 - 4.5" squares
                                                                1 - 7.25" square
                                                                1 - 2" x 7" strip

Background fabric:                                 2 - 4.5" squares
                                                                1 - 7.25" square



You will be making the 4 HST's all at once. Place the two 7.25" squares right sides together and sew 1/4" from the edge all the way around the square. Then cut on the diagonal both ways to make 4 units like this:


Press and trim each unit to 4.5" 


For the stem take a 4.5" background square and cut in half on the diagonal once.


Center the 2" x 7" strip of stem fabric between both triangles and stitch  with 1/4" seam allowance.  Press and trim to 4.5" Make sure the 45 degree angle line on your ruler is centered on the stem fabric. I pressed my block in half so I had a guide to place my ruler on.


Layout all pieces and stitch together.  



I like to press my pieces to one side and then the other so I can nest the seams.  No need to press open.  Block should measure 12.5"  


Thanks ladies!  I can't wait to see all the blocks!!  If you have any questions, please send me an email nwpatchwork@gmail.com or message me on Instagram @nwpatchwork

No comments: