Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Hive 3 Block for August

Happy August Hive 3!

I'm Liz, your Queen Bee for the month.  I'm an affordable housing architect in central Virginia, mom to a busy 4-year-old boy and addicted to gardening (in addition to quilting and pretty much all crafts).

I've been planning a garden themed quilt for some time now and had already decided to ask for the Garden Fence Block during my turn as Queen Bee when I saw that Debbie over in Hive 4 picked the same block a few months back and did my job for me.  Check out her post for a full tutorial.

http://stashbee.blogspot.com/2018/04/garden-fence-block-for-hive-4.html

I'll use this image from her post to explain my preferred fabric choices.  For the yellow – something that makes you think of a garden.  For the grey – something that makes you think of a garden.  Preferably not in the same color family as the fabric used for the yellow areas.  For the white – a white (but bonus points for a garden/floral white on white or low volume print on white).  You get the idea. . .


But the most important point thing I'd like to request is at least one RABBIT on each block.  If you search high and low in your stash and just can't find any rabbits then other garden goodies are also welcome.  Flowers, ladybugs, veggies, greenhouses, sun hats, watering cans, honey bees, garden tools, flower pots, hedgerows, potting sheds or adorable garden pests? Yes please!  If you want to fussy cut, go for it.  

Here are some example fabrics (the photos are making the dark blues and dark purples a bit more saturated than they are in reality):



Cutting Instructions:
Center block (grey in diagram): one 4 ½" square
Outside (yellow in diagram): four 2 ½" x 3" pieces, four 2 ½" x 5" pieces
White: two 1 ½" x 6 ½" pieces, two 1 ½" x 4 ½" pieces, four 1 ½" x 2 ½" pieces
Here are photos of the construction of one of my blocks:



 And some finished blocks:

Your block should finish to 10 ½"  If it is a bit off, don't worry.  Please do not trim and press to the dark.

The quilt is intended for someone that might love gardening even more than I do. She is a painter working in several styles but gardens run throughout most of her work.  She is not afraid of colors!
I can't wait to see what you come up with.  Happy sewing everyone!
Liz Chapman


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this block and love your idea of a gardening one.