Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Hive 7 February Block Allison




Stash bee tutorial

Hi Bee members! I am very conflicted at the moment. I drafted out a flying geese block in blues for you but then the whole Women's March/ immigration debacle started. I am an immigrant - the whole process has been very upsetting. There are some members of my family who  follow many different religions. I am very much for Women's rights - so when  I found a pussy block 
finished-block-web
by Patty Murphy online here:
https://pattymurphyhandmade.com/
It seemed to be the perfect block for me!!!

I would really like this block - there's a a whole tutorial at that website and the paper piecing pattern(two parts at this website).  I would really like pink pussy hats from you with your names on the block! That would make a really meaningful quilt!! 


If this doesn't agree with your feelings then the blue block tutorial is below!

This is my very first attempt at a block tutorial!img_2160
this is the ten inch finished size block for February. Please do in it in shades of Blue! It started off with a bag of scraps:
img_2151
Yup I sorted all my scraps by color back in November – this is the blue bag.img_2153
I took out the predominately all blue scraps – I loved the dragon flies but they didn’t meet the final cut! You need to find 21 one color  scraps – that read from light to dark. But you need a selection from light to dark of that color.
Find the darkest shade of the color you picked. For me it was this awesome piece of blue.
img_2156
You need to cut ten squares of the darkest shade – they measure 2.5 x 2.5 inches.
Arange your scraps from dark to light;
img_2154
You need to cut 15 squares from scraps of your color that measure 2.5 x 2.5 inches and arrange them in five rows of three blocks each from dark rows  at the bottom to light rows at the top at the top.
img_2160
Then the flying geese blocks need five 4.5 x 2.5 inch rectangles for the flying geese. Pick five shades of your color from dark to light. The darkest fabric that you cut ten squares from will be the outside of the flying geese. I am assuming that everyone knows how to make flying geese using the block method??
img_2157
So assemble the  blocks with five rows of  three 2.5 x 2.5 inch squares and one flying geese each. The darker shades on the bottom going to lighter as you assemble.
Hope this isn’t too confusing!Here is a link to how to make speedy flying geese blocks!
SPEED PIECING  METHOD A : good for piecing just a few units, as it makes just one  at a time.
To make a Flying Geese unit following Speed Piecing Method A you need one RECTANGLE the length you want the geese unit to be plus 1/2″  times the width you want it to be plus 1/2″, AND two SQUARES that measure half the desired length plus 1/2″. Place a small square atop the left corner of the rectangle, right sides together. On the back of the small square, draw a diagonal line. Sew on this diagonal line. Trim off the excess seam allowance, and press the remainder towards the outer triangle. Repeat with another square on the opposite end. So that you aren’t wasting any fabric, sew the snippets that you are cutting off in pairs, and you will have some neat small half squares to use in another project! EXAMPLE: to get a 2″ x 4″ finished Flying Geese unit you would use a 2 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ geese rectangle, and two 2 1/2″ squares.
 Hope I haven’t confused everyone! 🙂

4 comments:

Havplenty said...

This looks like the Geese Migration block created by Cynthia Brunz of Quilting is More Fun Than Housework. The tutorial for this block was on Sew Mama Sew. The tutorial can be found in the post http://quiltingismorefunthanhousework.blogspot.com/2015/06/dear-quilty-geese-migration-quilt.html if this helps with explanation.

I respect your right to make a statement. Either block would make a spectacular quilt.

mumbird3 said...

That is so cool - I didn't know there was a tutorial for that block (or even the name - found the block in a quilt on Pinterest!!! ) :)

mumbird3 said...

http://www.sewmamasew.com/june2015/GeeseMigration.pdf Pdf for blue block! :)

frstborn said...

Alison, I am an immigrant too and I feel exactly as you do.....I LOVE the pussy cat hat!