Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Hive 6 February Tutorial


Hello everyone!  I’m Tammy and this is my first year in SB.  I’m excited to have you make blocks for me because I have too many projects going. :)  I’m making a baby quilt for a friend who is expecting her first child in May. She is a huge Harry Potter fan and has chosen unusual colors for decorating-maroon and gold. Hmmm. I have planned a quilt that will include a few paper-pieced Harry Potter blocks and these disappearing nine-patch blocks.

Fabric: For this block I ask that you use just two fabrics, one maroon fabric and one gold fabric.
Here is my fabric pull for these blocks. As you can see, I do not have many/any juvenile prints in these colors. Maybe you do?  Juvenile prints or not, please use quilting weight cottons - batiks are okay if you do not have regular cottons in these colors.

Update (2/4/17) In response to a couple of very good questions about fabric: solids are okay for one of the fabrics. Using the Kona solids found here, colors that are similar to my pull for gold are: yarrow, papaya, amber, and school bus. Similar to maroon: burgundy, wine, garnet, and crimson. Thank you for asking Emily!



Cut 4.5" squares of each fabric. You will need five (5) maroon squares and four (4)  gold squares. Lay them out like this:



Sew the blocks together into rows, using a ¼” seam allowance and press seam allowances toward the maroon fabric.  Sew the rows together, nesting seam allowances.  Press the seam allowances toward the center.

Square this block up to 12.5” 

Then, cut the block into four equal squares by cutting down the center and across the middle as shown here.  Because the center square is now 4" wide, you can line up the 2” line on your ruler with the seam to help make accurate cuts.



Next, rotate the top left and bottom right block 180 degrees to form one of the variations of a disappearing nine-patch block. I call this the chain variation.




Sew these blocks together as you would a 4-patch.  This will make a 12" unfinished block.
Please do not square this block up.  I will be so glad to do that!

I’m looking forward to seeing the fabrics you use and the blocks you make.

And-thank you for your help with this baby quilt!

Tammy





No comments: