Sunday, October 1, 2017

Hive 5 Tutorial for October

Hi,

I am Gayle and I live in Austin, TX with my husband and two cats. I also am hosting a 17 year old exchange student from Slovakia and I have a 22 year old son that is away at college. I am currently not working outside the home, so I have plenty of time for sewing, quilting and various fiber arts!

For this month's blocks, I would like you to make two sets of four flying geese like below.



For fabric choices, I would like two different large scale bright multi-color florals or paisley print (or another large scale print that is close enough) for the geese and any two solids that go well with them.  Please no small scale prints and no black or white for the solids.

Each single geese unit unfinished will be 6 1/2 by 3 1/2. Sew one set of 4 together in the normal way. For the other strip set just sew pairs together. I will be mixing them up for the final layout.

As you know there are many ways to make flying geese. One way is to cut a 6 1/2 by 3 1/2 inch of floral fabric and two 3 1/2 squares of solid. Draw on the diagonal line and sew to both ends and cut away excess. This has some waste.

So since four are needed to be made the No Waste 4 at a Time is perfect. You can find easy directions here as the last method listed.

For this method (to make a set of four) you will need:

Floral fabric  1 - 7 1/4  inch square
Solids  4 - 3 7/8 inch squares with a drawn diagonal line



Lay two solid squares on corners of larger square and sew a scant 1/4 inch on each side of line.



Cut apart along the pencil line and iron toward the solids.

Place the extra square like below and stitch on both sides.


Cut apart and you will end up with four units like this.



Here are some others I have made.


My two truths and a lie:

1. I have been to the Arctic Circle! We hosted another exchange student from Finland years ago that we did go to visit, and she lived in a town about a half hour away.

2. My college roommate was Holly Hunter who went on to win an Academy Award for Best Actress for her role in The Piano. Her latest film is The Big Sick.

3. I have not won an award at the Houston International Quilt Festival. But it is a half truth because I did have some non-juried work in a special exhibit there about 10 years ago.

Thanks so much in advance, will be eager to see what you create! Contact me if you have any questions.

No comments: