Sunday, October 1, 2017

Hive 1 October block

Hello to all my fellow Hive 1 buddies...


Before I get started....here is a little bio of me.   I started quilting more than 30 years ago, but did not do one thing for about 15 of those.   My love of fabric has been a constant...so even though I wasn't quilting, of course I was buying fabric.   I work with a lot of young people, so about three years ago I started piecing again because they were all getting married and having babies.   I haven't made one for me, but that is coming.   I loved being in the Stash Bee last year and I received such beautiful blocks and that one will certainly be for me. 


Like most, I bet I have gone to Pintrest, many blogs, You Tube, etc. to see what block I wanted you fantastic people to do for October.  I chose the color palette a while back.   I am from California but have lived in Iowa for the last 20 plus years.  One thing I adore about living in the Midwest is Fall.  The colors during the Fall is incredible.  So saying that, Fall Colors was my inspiration.  With that deciced I have went to one of my favorite designers Jenny Doan from Missouri Star Quilt Co.  The particular pattern is called Easy Prairie Flower.  Here is the link to that site:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUrrVx_L9jg. \
Fall color palette aspens and evergreen trees
 


Again, I would like the rich Fall colors and while or white on white pattern as the background. The palette on the left is just an example.  You can certainly add brilliant reds and yellow and greens and let's not forget oranges.  These are from my stash. 



Hope you  have a fun time with it.

The following picture is the cuts that need to be made:

Fabric A == 4 - 5" squares
Fabric B == 4 - 5" squares
Fabric C (the white or white on white pattern)
1 - 5" square
16 - 2 1/2" squares


Two of the smaller Fabric C squares will go on the opposite corners of Fabric A
Sew along the folded lines on both sides.   You will then iron and cut the one side and magic you will have this:


Lay two of Fabric C squares on both sides of the top of Fabric B.  



Sew along the folded lines.   Cut off excess (1/4" from middle);/ iron and you have this part of the block complete.






Can not believe I did not take a picture of the lay out...but here is the final block.



If you have trouble following this, please go to You Tube.  Jenny Doan does an excellent job.  However, please do not hesitate to contact me at kbertie1379@gmail.com or on our Stash Bee Hive 1 on Facebook.   Have fun.  


1 comment: