Sunday, January 11, 2015

Hive #5 January block

Hello all!  I'm Genevieve.  I'm a data scientist living in Santa Cruz, CA with my husband and 2-year-old son.  I blog over at miniwinquilts.blogspot.com, but only episodically (things keep getting in the way: parenthood, full-time job, etc).

All seasons are gorgeous in Santa Cruz (one reason I'm thrilled to have moved back here!) but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be spring.  Spring here lasts from March through May.  The weather is warm and mild, there are flowers everywhere, and the days just keep getting longer.  It's impossible not to feel upbeat and optimistic in spring!

Our hive mama, Lynn, asked for a scrappy HST block combing bright colors and low-volume fabrics.  Here's my offering: 



After making it, I realized that my definition of low-volume involves quite a lot of color, and sometimes quite large-scale prints.  So my question for you is: what does low-volume mean to you?  Are there fabrics I've used as LV that you don't think should qualify?  



2 comments:

Granny Maud's Girl said...

I think your definition matches mine. Anything with a predominantly white or cream background that reads as pale - I count it!

SIMPLESEW said...

I like text for low volume or tone on tone.