Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Hive 10--April Block Tutorial


Hello, my name is Nela and I have lived in Eugene, Oregon for the past year and a half.  I teach one class of high school physics and spend the rest of the time sewing.  I am married to a wonderful man, Michael, who puts up with my fabric and quilting obsession.  Our daughter, Madeleine, is five years old and loves kindergarten, ballet, gymnastics and music.  We share our house with two cats (Mister and Jasper), two rabbits (Honey Bunny and Peanut Butter) and a beagle/Queensland healer mix, named Kelvin.  We sometimes find deer and turkeys in the yard as well.  


I have been actively sewing and quilting for just over one year.  I started sewing simple clothes for my daughter, bags and then tried my hand at making baby quilts.  I have done a couple of quilt-alongs and greatly appreciate the timelines and the tutorials.  I continue to improve my piecing techniques and try out different free motion quilting.  





I organize my fabric by color and in tubs.  I also have a separate area for scraps, which are also organized by color.  I have Jeni Baker to thank for this.  


I would have to say that my favorite fabric designers are Jeni Baker, Anna Maria Horner, Tula Pink and so many more… I just LOVE fabric!!!!

The one thing I have learned that I wished I knew when I first started quilting was taking my time and matching seams.  I also have made friends with my seam ripper (favorite tool), when the time comes to stitch again.  My favorite seam ripper is the Seam-Fix.
Seam-Fix by Fabric Hut



A fictional character I enjoy right now is Annie, from the children's series, The Magic Tree House.  She and her brother, Jack, go on many adventures throughout history and I just love how she gets so upset when girls were not allowed to do what the boys did.  I enjoy reading about what girls wore and how Annie reacts to them.  

Now, onto this month's tutorial...

April Block Tutorial

Fussy Cut Rainbow Block 


I just finished up a class on color and am now obsessed with rainbows.  So, our block will have the colors of the rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue purple) in it.  I also love fussy cut "images" and want the finished quilt to represent each person in Hive 10.  When you finish the block it will be 16.5" square.  Please press all seams open.  Use a 1/4" seam allowance.  

Let's begin:

Fussy Cut Rainbow Block #1
Fabric Needed:
(1) Fussy cut piece 5.5" square
White Fabric 
       (2) 1.5" x 5.5" strips
       (2) 7.5" x 1.5" strips
Red fabric
       (1) 7.5" x 2" strip
       (1) 2" x 9" strip
Orange fabric
       (1) 9" x 2" strip
       (1) 2" x 10.5" strip
Yellow fabric
       (1) 10.5" x 2" strip
       (1) 2" x 12" strip
Green fabric
       (1) 12" x 2" strip
       (1) 2" x 13.5" strip
Blue fabric
       (1) 13.5" x 2" strip
       (1) 2" x 15" strip
Purple fabric
       (1) 15" x 2" strip
       (1) 2" x 16.5" strip



A note about the rainbow fabric.  Please use monochromatic print fabrics.  I am fine with white or cream as a secondary color as well.  Also, I personally cut the strips a little longer and then trim as I work my way through the strips.  



1. Start by choosing fabric for the fussy cut piece.  This piece of fabric will be cut to 5.5" square.  
(I have always loved frogs and this piece of fabric was given to me by Heather Ross at my first sewing weekend, which started me on my sewing journey.)


2. Cut out the white border.  You will need two 1.5" x 5.5" strips and two 7.5" x 1.5" strips.  Sew the first two strips rights sides together and then press the seams open.  

3. Sew the other two strips, rights sides together on the top and the bottom.  Press open.

4. Take your first strip of red fabric and place it right side together on the top of the block.  Press and then add the next red strip to the right side of the block.  

5. You will then add the first orange strip to the bottom of your block.  Add your second orange strip on the left side of the block. 


6. Continue adding strips moving around clockwise.



Once you have added all the strips, you are done.  I will square up the blocks once I get them all.   


Fussy Cut Rainbow Block #2


I can't wait to see all your fussy cut rainbow blocks.  


If you have any questions, please ask.  (nela@tifosew.com)
Thanks,
Nela

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Love it! so happy looking - this is going to be fun!

Unknown said...

Ruth, thanks for the kind words.

DoohikeyDesign said...

Looks fun!