Monday, August 1, 2022

Hive 4 - August Tutorial - Solid Improv Quarter Circles

Greetings Hive 4!

Have you noticed that curves are everywhere in modern quilting? My local quilting groups have been exploring improv and precise curves. I would really appreciate your help in finishing a project I started in a Brenda Gael Smith virtual workshop. You can check her website to see many design options using quarter circles. And if videos are more helpful, Cheryl Arkison has a great IG improv curves technique video. 

Here's what your finished block(s) might look like.

You can send me one or both. Sending two exceeds the maximum measurement, but the simplicity of the block might allow you to feel generous. Once you have two base blocks cut, you'll make just one freehand cut and then sew two seams.  Sound simple?!?! I hope so.

Here's my palette - a very muddy yellow, chartreuse, light and dark terracotta, four browns from light to very dark. Please choose two solids (one light and one dark) that would work well with this palette. 

If you don't have anything in your stash that might work well with this palette, I hereby grant permission to do some upcycling. If you have some solid cotton or linen in old clothes and/or table linens, please use those (as long as there are no obvious stains). This will be a color experiment for me, so just do your best. 

Cut 2 blocks approximately 10.5" square. You'll notice that my yellow block is slightly undersized. Slight variation to maximize fabric is allowed.


Layer the two blocks on top of each other. I put the slightly smaller one on top.

To guide my freehand cut, I marked a dot about 1" from the outside edge and 2.5" from the other outside edge at the beginning and ending of my curve. 


In the next picture, you can see that the beginning and ending of each curve is a one inch deep straight cut that helps with assembly. Leave a minimum of 2.5" in the background bit to allow for customization when I assemble the top.

The curve itself is a freehand cut. You might be tempted to draw a curve before cutting. Resist!  An improv curve cut can lead to interesting shapes. 


Now swap the two curves so that you have a dark with a light in each block. 


If you feel confident sewing curves, you can use one pin to hold at the beginning and then ease the rest of the curve in while sewing. Cheryl's reel shows this in process. If you don't feel comfortable with curves, you can pin in a few places and sew slowly. Either way, please lay your two pieces in this configuration with the background piece a half inch above the curve to begin.




And you are all done.  Please do not trim or square up. I will need the extra tails when determining my layout.

I hope this was fast and easy and may have you considering using curves in one of your future projects.  Like Em's Christmas trees from last month, I find curves addictive.

Email or message me through IG if you have any questions.

Cathleen aka Kitch Kouture


 








No comments: