Thursday, October 31, 2019

Hive 5 November Tutorial - It's all about scraps!


Happy November Hive 5

It’s the final month in our 2019 Stash Bee.  And for my month, I am asking the hive to curate the content of my Stash Been 2019 quilt.  

I have fallen in love with scraps.  I love what they represent (finished projects/dreams).  And I love the challenge of creating something interesting from scraps.  And then there's the joy of feeling thrifty.  Oddly enough, I quickly finish projects made with others' scraps while ignoring my own projects.  Hmmmm.     

This last year, I exchanged scraps with a modern quilter in Florida.  Using three of her scraps, I’ve generated four pillows and one small quilt top.  Of course, I forgot to take a picture before I used each of them . . . so use your imagination . . . 

From this, 


I created three pillows.  I added a solid tan that came from a pair of my son’s outgrown pants and some tea dyed white from old Halloween curtains.  I used scrap decorator fabrics for the backs.  


From this,


I created one pillow.  I added the solid bars on the top and bottom to create a square.  Really enjoyed the relaxing hand quilting.  


And from this scrap,


I created a 38” x 35” quilt top.  I added the framing solids/prints around each set of single color x’s and the terra cotta for the background.


My Florida quilting friend now calls me the "scrap whisperer."  

Since scraps challenge, excite and energize me, I’d love to receive some scraps from your stash.  

Choose a scrap or two that reads modern (solids and/or prints).  I can use scraps as large as 16” square or as small as 2.5” strips.  Unusual sized scraps are fun also.  They can be something from one of your completed projects or a bit of something you’ve never been able to use because of its small size.  

I will challenge myself to use them all in one or maybe two projects with a few additions from my stash.  I took Sherri Lynn Wood’s Improv Mashup workshop this summer and might use some of her techniques to experiment and disrupt symmetry.  

For those who would like to send scraps based on what others are sending, you can check #stashbeehive5 prior to pulling.  You can select something that might build on what others have chosen or toss in something that might take the project in a different direction.  Whoever posts first might just set the tone.  

I hope this is a relaxing and fun way to end our 2019.  And this time, I'll have "before" pictures from everyone's Instagram posts!  

I’ve really enjoyed this year with each of you.   Thank you for being such a great hive.  

Cathleen
aka Kitch Kouture


No comments: