Saturday, September 1, 2018

Hive 4 September tutorial

Hi all. I'm Carolyn from Sweet Boater Chick. This is my fifth year doing stash bee and I love it. I live in New Jersey on the Jersey shore, I love the water.  (I recently moved from Lanoka Harbor to Manchester)

So I decided that instead of picking a new block I'm going to ask you to make blocks to add to my last year's quilt. I need some more blocks to make it the perfect throw size. And I know we all have already practiced it since it was done this year already for Katie.  Haha. We will be making the Every Which Way Pinwheel, again. I love his block an my quilt is turning out awesome so far. You may notice I have a love of flying geese as I made a migration block quilt with my bee mates for two years, too. 


This is my quilt so far with my blocks from last years bee, too.  Your blocks will make it the perfect size.  I love the mix of backgrounds and fabrics so far. 


For the color pallet I am choosing mustard, navy/dark blue, and dark gray. 


The background pieces are low volume. Since it is super scrappy you can use a mixture of these, I just ask that the flying geese triangles match for each goose. 


Fabrics to be cut:
12 assorted 5.5" x 3" colors for goose body
12 matching pairs of low volume (background) 3"x 3 " for flying geese (24 blocks in total)
4 assorted low volume (background) 3" x 5.5"
4 assorted low volume (background) 3" x 3"


To make the geese we will be using the flip, flip, and finish method.  Draw diagonal lines on the back of the 3" square pairs for the geese.  With right sides together align a square with the side of the goose fabric, stitch on the drawn line.  


Cut 1/4" away from drawn line and press out.  Repeat with matching square for each goose.  


Lay out the blocks for each quarter of the block.  You can press the seams to one side as you assemble.  



Once you have all 4 quarters together, press the last, middle seam open to reduce bulk.  The block should measure 15.5" x 15.5".



And there you have my every which way pinwheel.  Thanks so much!


Thanks so much to all of you for making this block again for me.  I am excited to see them all and have my quilt come together. 

1 comment:

Kristi S said...

Are light solids acceptable for the backgrounds? Or do they have to be prints?