Saturday, September 1, 2018

Hive 3 September Tutorial - Fred the cat

"Guten Tag" and hello from Germany, hive 3!
Here is my block for September. Please feel free to ask any questions any time. I hope you have fun with it!

The motivation

I am thrilled to be queen for the first time ever. That is very fitting as the quilt I want to make with your blocks is the first for someone in my family. You know how it is.
You want to make extra special and beautiful quilts for those closest to you and so you wait for later. As in later when you have more practice. Later when your skills are better. Later when you find the perfect pattern and fabric. As my dad has fallen ill and also is quite old - I decided that later is now.

The colours

I would like you to use neutrals i.e. white, grey, creme or black. Think quilt for a man. Think navy and boats. Think old motorcycles, steel and snowscapes.

I know. That is thread. Not fabric 😆 But those colours are my go to threads, which I use all the time, anyway. So this is the palate.
You can use any fabric no matter if solid, batiks, novelty or otherwise. But please don't use any colours, not even coloured pattern. I am not looking for low volume. I am looking for neutrals.
Also I ask you to use the same fabric for all the background pieces. The cat can be uniform or scrappy what ever you like. But the background needs to be coherent to make the pattern work.

The pattern and cutting

Say hello to Fred the Cat. There are many versions of this pattern online. But I did not find one in my size. So here we go.

You need
1 or more fabric (s) for the cat
and
1 fabric for background
Of the fabric or fabrics for the cat you need / cut
1 body 4.5" x 8.5"
1 head 4.5" x 3"
and
2 ears 2" x 2"

For the background B you need / cut
1 piece 4.5" x 4.5" for the wall
1 piece 4.5" x 2" for the ears
1 piece 2" x 2" for the tail
1 strip 2" x 8.5" for the top
and
1 strip 2" x 10" for the side

I did the ears and tail with stitch and flip. So draw a diagonal line on all 3 pieces 2" x 2". Or use this handy tool to make it quicker.

Attach the ear pieces 2" x 2" of the cat fabric to the 4.5" x 2" of background.


Cut the corners off. And press out. (Same technique is used for the tail.)

Join the ears to the 4.5" x 3" cat head piece.

Head ready? Now you have to make a choice. Do you want your cat looking left (reminiscing of the past and thinking of loved ones). Then attach the background tail fabric 2" x 2" to the top right to of the cat body piece 4.5" x 8.5".

Or do you want your cat to look to the right (looking into the future and dreaming of better days). Then attach to the top left.

Attach the head to the wall background piece 4.5" x 4.5". Once again mind the direction the cat is facing.

Please attach the background strip 2" x 8.5" to the top. Not to the bottom. It is the frame that makes the cat visible in quilt.

And thus follows another character defining decision. Are you opting for one of those elegant yet "I am not looking at you" beauties? Attach the background strip 2" x 10" to the front. Thus giving the cat space and separation.

Or do you rather make a fluffy furball which keeps coming back for cuddles? Then attach the background 2" x 10" strip to the rear. So it can snuggle with the others.

That's it. Your done. Hopefully quickly, as it is still summer and life happens outside. (For most of us.)

The challenge

You might despite life 1.0 have some time on your hand. Or are you looking for a challenge? I would love some of the cats to be scrappy patchwork. Just take all those tiny scraps and join them randomly to make new fabric. Then your cat might look something like this.

But as I said. Only if you feel like it and the outside and chores leave you the time.

The story

Here is what the finished quilt might look like.

I am looking forward to seeing your cats. And I would love you to include a name and character for your cat when you post it.

So now I am taking home the trophy for longest post with most rambling on Stash Bee. And am off making more for the litter.

Enjoy the late summer! (Or season of your continent :)

Gabriele aka Molly Grue

No comments: