Saturday, September 1, 2018

Hive 1 September 2018 tutorial

Hello to all my hive mates.  This is my first year participating in the Stash Bee, and I hope it won't be my last.

I live in eastern Pennsylvania with my husband of 25 years.  I'm looking forward to a big family party this fall to celebrate.  I married into a family of 6 kids and 6 grandchildren, and a lot has happened over the last 25 years.  I retired 12 years ago and turned a spare bedroom into a sewing room, and hardly a day goes by that I don't spend some time there.  I chair the community service committee of my guild and sewing for others is one of my passions.  Like several prior Queens, I am going to donate the quilt I make with your blocks.  Each year I make a quilt for a child attending Camp Erin, a summer camping experience for a child that has experienced a bereavement.  Because I don't know if the quilt will go to a girl or boy, I only ask that your fabric choice would appeal to either gender.  Thank you.

Block - I don't know the name of this block, only that it has many pinwheels, so I'll christen it Many Pinwheels. It will be 12-1/2 inches when you send it to me, but will finish at 12 inches when sewn together in the quilt.

Color Theme - Use white (or white on white) along with fabric that is blue or green.  The blue or green can be a solid, a tone-on-tone or a print that from across the room would 'read' as blue or green.


Cutting Directions - 
  • 4 by 4 inch squares.  Cut 4 blue/green and 4 white.
  • 7 by 7 inch square.  Cut 1 blue/green and 1 white.

Construction -
Step 1 – You'll be making half square triangles out of all of your squares.  Be sure to square them to the correct size before combining them in Steps 2 and 3.
  • Pair the 4 inch dark and light squares, right sides together. Draw a diagonal line, and sew one-quarter inch on either side of the line. Cut on the drawn line. Press the seam open and square up to 3-1/2 inch half square triangles.
  • Pair the 7 inch dark and light squares, right sides together. Draw a diagonal line, and sew one-quarter inch on either side of the line. Cut on the drawn line. Press the seam open and square up to 6-1/2 inch half square triangles.


Step 2 - Lay out the 3-1/2 inch half square triangles as shown below and sew together to make two 6-1/2 inch pinwheels.  Take care that the color and white parts of your block match the locations as shown below.    The pinwheels should measure 6-1/2 x 6-1/2 inches at this point.
Step 3 - Lay out the 6-1/2 inch pinwheels and the 6-1/2 inch half square triangles as shown below and sew together to make the final block.  Take care that the color and white parts of your block match the locations as shown below.  The block should measure 12-1/2 x 12-1/2 inches at this point, so that it will finish at 12 by 12 inches. 

 
Thank you all for making blocks for me this month.  I'm sure that the combined blocks will make a terrific quilt for some child at next summer's Camp Erin.
Kathie L in Allentown, PA







No comments: